Sai v. Corel Painter IX: Blur Tool Help

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
inohatake14
Regular
Projects: Stained with Magic

Sai v. Corel Painter IX: Blur Tool Help

#1 Post by inohatake14 »

Hello everyone! I have a little problem.... You see, a little over a month I downloaded Sai (forgetting it was a mere trial version). I got use to the program, and then, of course, my free trial expired. Now, luckily for myself a friend gave me her copy of Corel Painter IX a while back, so I have begun working with that. While it is suppose to be a superior program, I'm just an amateur with digital art and I hate it! Haha, that aside, I am starting to adjust.

Now then, the real dilemma here for me is the blur tool on Corel. As far as I am aware, you can only blur with the smear tool and must create a mixed media layer right? I really don't like that, because, it is to my understanding that I cannot blur together several layers. Now, I'm sure you can- that's why I'm here. :) Can any of you guys help me?

OR~

Better yet, do you guys know of any freeware that I would be able to blur easily and has the basic functions? I would like to give up on Corel for the time being if at all possible.

Thanks! ^.^
-Needs to buy a tablet :( - Also if you specialize in backgrounds and take requests and/or want to partner up on a project, hit me up! ;)

myapple
Regular
Projects: RoG2.0, Stirling
Organization: red inc.

Re: Sai v. Corel Painter IX: Blur Tool Help

#2 Post by myapple »

Sorry, I can't help you with Corel as i've never used the program.

If you're looking for a free program,why not give GIMP a try? I can't say I know very much about the blending (because again, I don't use the program), but I have seen people create some pretty nice artwork with it, so it must work.

Kensela
Regular

#3 Post by Kensela »

I use Corel 12 so I don't know if there is much of a difference.
Also I don't know what you are trying to do. If you are trying to blur several layers at once then your only option is to combine the layers together or blur each layer one by one. If you are asking about tools that you can use, in Corel 12 their is an entire section dedicated to blending, but I'm not sure if it's the same for your version. Also I'm not sure what you mean by mixed media layer since I just use the same normal layer I colored on to blend.

inohatake14
Regular

#4 Post by inohatake14 »

Kensela wrote:I use Corel 12 so I don't know if there is much of a difference.
Also I don't know what you are trying to do. If you are trying to blur several layers at once then your only option is to combine the layers together or blur each layer one by one. If you are asking about tools that you can use, in Corel 12 their is an entire section dedicated to blending, but I'm not sure if it's the same for your version. Also I'm not sure what you mean by mixed media layer since I just use the same normal layer I colored on to blend.

Yes, i was trying to blur several layers together. :c I guess it's impossible after all. Thank you for your help though.
-Needs to buy a tablet :( - Also if you specialize in backgrounds and take requests and/or want to partner up on a project, hit me up! ;)

inohatake14
Regular

#5 Post by inohatake14 »

myapple wrote:Sorry, I can't help you with Corel as i've never used the program.

If you're looking for a free program,why not give GIMP a try? I can't say I know very much about the blending (because again, I don't use the program), but I have seen people create some pretty nice artwork with it, so it must work.

Actually, since I waited weeks for answer but got none, I have recently turned to Gimp. xD I'm starting to get the hang of it I believe. thanks for your assistance. Just our of curiosity, what are using? I know it isn't free, but I'm just wondering what everyone uses in general. :3

myapple
Regular
Projects: RoG2.0, Stirling
Organization: red inc.

#6 Post by myapple »

inohatake14 wrote: Actually, since I waited weeks for answer but got none, I have recently turned to Gimp. xD I'm starting to get the hang of it I believe. thanks for your assistance. Just our of curiosity, what are using? I know it isn't free, but I'm just wondering what everyone uses in general. :3
I alternate between photoshop cs4 and SAI depending on the style of picture i'm going for. I find that each program has its pros and cons when trying to do certain things.

In general most people probably use either photoshop or sai, I think. http://dctb.deviantart.com/ is one of my favourite artists, and he strictly uses gimp though. You might want to check out his gallery, as he has a couple of tutorial-type images that might be of help :)

inohatake14
Regular

#7 Post by inohatake14 »

myapple wrote:
inohatake14 wrote: Actually, since I waited weeks for answer but got none, I have recently turned to Gimp. xD I'm starting to get the hang of it I believe. thanks for your assistance. Just our of curiosity, what are using? I know it isn't free, but I'm just wondering what everyone uses in general. :3
I alternate between photoshop cs4 and SAI depending on the style of picture i'm going for. I find that each program has its pros and cons when trying to do certain things.

In general most people probably use either photoshop or sai, I think. http://dctb.deviantart.com/ is one of my favourite artists, and he strictly uses gimp though. You might want to check out his gallery, as he has a couple of tutorial-type images that might be of help :)
Oh wow! This guy is really good. ^^ I'll keep at Gimp for now then. Thanks again for your help.