[RESOLVED.]Photo dimensions?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
The Wombologists
Projects: First Test Game-simple story.
Tumblr: viataf
Deviantart: viataf

[RESOLVED.]Photo dimensions?

#1 Post by The Wombologists »

I'm filtering images as i mess around with the script program in renpy and im wondering what is a good photo dimension size for background images and character sprites? :?:
Last edited by The Wombologists on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Photo dimensions?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The Wombologists wrote:I'm filtering images as i mess around with the script program in renpy and im wondering what is a good photo dimension size for background images and character sprites? :?:
That would entirely depend on what dimensions you are making the game. I default to 1280x720, but I've worked both larger and smaller. I also tend to do everything 2-3x larger than needed and then resize afterwards.

The Wombologists

#3 Post by The Wombologists »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:
The Wombologists wrote:I'm filtering images as i mess around with the script program in renpy and im wondering what is a good photo dimension size for background images and character sprites? :?:
That would entirely depend on what dimensions you are making the game. I default to 1280x720, but I've worked both larger and smaller. I also tend to do everything 2-3x larger than needed and then resize afterwards.
when i was making a test game to test out the engine i found that really small pictures would leave a checkerboard pattern in the negative space not taken up so i wonder if i were to full size the game would pictures that fit fine in smaller windows not be not translate when fullscreened and have the same effect

(gosh i sound retarded...)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The Wombologists wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:
when i was making a test game to test out the engine i found that really small pictures would leave a checkerboard pattern in the negative space not taken up so i wonder if i were to full size the game would pictures that fit fine in smaller windows not be not translate when fullscreened and have the same effect

(gosh i sound retarded...)
If you want to have the game be full screen, then you have to work at that resolution, then windows when downscale everything. If you don't have everything big enough then when you scale up to full screen everything will blur and pixelate because there are not enough pixels in the original. The best thing to do is figure out how big you want your game and then work from there. There are a number of threads about resolutions since people have a lot of different preferences so try searching and see what you can find :)

Personally I always play in window mode and I'm on a 1920 x 1080 Mac, so a lot of games aren't that big anyway. I don't have trouble with reading or anything, so that's fine for me, but everyone is different. I also prefer widescreen formats because I personally find the layout more appealing.

The Wombologists

#5 Post by The Wombologists »

If you want to have the game be full screen, then you have to work at that resolution, then windows when downscale everything. If you don't have everything big enough then when you scale up to full screen everything will blur and pixelate because there are not enough pixels in the original. The best thing to do is figure out how big you want your game and then work from there. There are a number of threads about resolutions since people have a lot of different preferences so try searching and see what you can find :)

Personally I always play in window mode and I'm on a 1920 x 1080 Mac, so a lot of games aren't that big anyway. I don't have trouble with reading or anything, so that's fine for me, but everyone is different. I also prefer widescreen formats because I personally find the layout more appealing.
....Thank you so much for the help.
I do appreciate it! :D