How Often Do You Draw?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: How Often Do You Draw?

#16 Post by MaiMai »

briannavon wrote:
MaiMai wrote:In addition, if you're going to get serious about drawing look up resources and actually read and study them. We have a sticky-ed resources thread (which I'm afraid barely anyone actually looks at :? ) for that purpose after all.

The internet is a haven of art tutorials, resources, and guides to help a person improve. Art is not just drawing, but it IS a study of observation and practice.
Yeah. For anime drawing, which ones would recommend?
If you seriously want to learn drawing, I personally wouldn't even recommend starting with anime style. I know a lot of people on the internet start off with anime, but one quickly learns that it won't even look like GOOD anime without learning the basics of anatomy, shapes, forms, colors, etc. Not to mention, the style itself is so highly varied, I don't know what I would recommend you since it's on you to develop your own style or emulate a style you like.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#17 Post by truefaiterman »

Now's when I go straight to hell... since I finished my last course, I mostly draw once a month... or two... months. But I'm getting serious about it again (I had my reasons to slack off like that), and these days I paint at least 3 or 4 times a week.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by briannavon »

MaiMai wrote:
briannavon wrote:
MaiMai wrote:In addition, if you're going to get serious about drawing look up resources and actually read and study them. We have a sticky-ed resources thread (which I'm afraid barely anyone actually looks at :? ) for that purpose after all.

The internet is a haven of art tutorials, resources, and guides to help a person improve. Art is not just drawing, but it IS a study of observation and practice.
Yeah. For anime drawing, which ones would recommend?
If you seriously want to learn drawing, I personally wouldn't even recommend starting with anime style. I know a lot of people on the internet start off with anime, but one quickly learns that it won't even look like GOOD anime without learning the basics of anatomy, shapes, forms, colors, etc. Not to mention, the style itself is so highly varied, I don't know what I would recommend you since it's on you to develop your own style or emulate a style you like.

I guess that is true. But I always get hard headed and try to start off with anime styles when I see new anime.
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#19 Post by MaiMai »

Thaaaaaaat's not really an excuse you can use.

If anything though, you can learn the basics and learn how to draw anime at the same time. And when it comes down to it, I'm just giving you advice, you'll have to see what you want to follow through on if you're willing to put in the time to draw.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by briannavon »

MaiMai wrote:Thaaaaaaat's not really an excuse you can use.

If anything though, you can learn the basics and learn how to draw anime at the same time. And when it comes down to it, I'm just giving you advice, you'll have to see what you want to follow through on if you're willing to put in the time to draw.
Well then, I guess I have no other choice but to not be hard headed/lazy.
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#21 Post by truefaiterman »

briannavon wrote: Well then, I guess I have no other choice but to not be hard headed/lazy.
Look it from another point of view: Take a "how to draw manga" book. Any book will work. Or a "How to draw anime", or a "How to draw Marvel", or... any drawing book.

All of them show you how to draw a specific style, but the first pages will always be about human (realistic) anatomy.

I think most of us started with manga/anime-style drawings, but sooner or later you have to learn how an actual body works and looks, and unfortunately that's something most animes can't teach you. IMHO, though.
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#22 Post by Didules »

When I have free time, I draw, so every morning for now, but since I'll start studying in a week, I won't have much time to draw, so maybe once a week during normal weeks and everyday during holidays. Training and drawing often is the only way to improve your style, that's why I draw as much as I can (and because I really like it of course :D ).

bunbun
Regular

#23 Post by bunbun »

I think I am the only odd one and I feel ashame to say...
I draw once a month, once a week or two...
Definitely not everyday...
WIPS

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#24 Post by Semienigma »

I actually have drawing sprees where I can sometimes draw everyday ((like recently)) or every other day or go weeks without drawing at all. I am trying to get to the point I can draw everyday so I can improve XD They say you get better every three drawings :D
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

soraibi
Regular

#25 Post by soraibi »

Well, I guess I'll say that I draw everyday since I do...yeah. Unless I'm in exam week. :D

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#26 Post by Aviala »

You guys draw every day? Now I feel bad about only drawing once in a while. Sometimes I get these crazy bursts; I draw 3 hours every day for a week, sometimes there can be a month without any drawing. I guess I just use up all my inspiration and motivation and feel like taking a break after a drawing burst.

I know I should draw every day even if I don't feel like it if I want to become a pro but lately I've started feeling like I won't ever be a pro so I should just draw when I feel like it - that way it's fun and doesn't feel like work.

I agree with some of the earlier posts: If you want to be good at art, you need to study it too, not just draw. Drawing people from reference can greatly improve your anatomy skills, which are always needed when you draw people. Even anime people. Before you can draw good-looking stylished anatomy (anime anatomy for example), you need to learn the basics of real anatomy.

Exaelia
Regular

#27 Post by Exaelia »

Are you KIDDING me? I practically draw in my sleep! Hehe. x3
"If I cared what people think, I would have dyed my hair black."
~Kurosaki Ichigo

Hellboy
Regular

#28 Post by Hellboy »

Not that much, I concentrate on 3D renders, but once in a while, I go for it. Maybe 2/3 times a week, sometimes less.
FREE and easy 3D customization, posing, and animation software with pre-made people and environments:
DAZ Studio Pro 4.9

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#29 Post by Katon »

Hnn, I feel so weird now.
I only draw when I feel like I need to. I can't even draw little doodles or sketches. I feel bad since a lot of my sketchbooks are blank :c That or I end up keep erasing them so much. I don't know. I usually feel a bit silly or ashamed after I attempt to doodle. Plus even if I draw something I like I just go straight to inking and coloring it.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#30 Post by Obscura »

I wish I could draw everyday, but at the moment it's like 1 week of drawing for every 3 weeks of coding/writing.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website