[Livestream Tutorial] Coloring in Background Art -OFFLINE-

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

[Livestream Tutorial] Coloring in Background Art -OFFLINE-

#1 Post by Morishita »

I've been so busy with my background work that I haven't been very active on the forum lately Q^Q I'm still here guys~sss

Anywhoo~ I thought that I should post up a link to my livestream session since today I will be showing you how I ink in this bed room background for Autumn's Journey.For those who want to find more information about Autumn's Journey feel free to follow this link =3 I'm so thankful to have the chance to help with the backgrounds for this game Q^Q I've been able to learn a lot when it comes to background creation, given I still have a very long way to go but along the way I hope that some of the things that I share with you all will be of help ^^

Manga Studio EX is one of my favorite programs to ink in backgrounds with because it has a lock to perspective feature and I've tried and failed many times with Google Sketchup Q^Q but since I've worked with manga studio for so long I don't see why I shouldn't just use that to do visual novel background as well =3
So for those of you who'd like to view me inking in the background art from the thumbnail show in the picture below then please feel free to click the link <3
Thank you to everyone that stopped by! Here is the finished product. Also for those of you who would like to watch what I did during the livestream, I saved todays session under bedroom lines.
bedroomlines.jpg
Also here is another little tutorial for those of you who might need some pointers for proportions in your backgrounds, of course I am still learning myself but these are some of the things that Deji helped explained to me and I though that I should share this to possible help others ^^
visual_novel_background_tutorial_by_sky_morishita-d6qfhv0.png
Last edited by Morishita on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Armee
Veteran

Re: [Livestream Tutorial] Inking in Background Art -OFFLINE-

#2 Post by Armee »

Really lovely of you and this tutorial. I have been messing with the same mistakes for awhile. (Drawing scenery sucks for me...ahahaha...) I guess I better warm up to receive my laptop once it fixed and continue on the journey of (miserable) drawing BGs (that I have been neglecting for weeks). I hope my Manga Studio 5 didn't disappear or else I have to install again. >_>

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#3 Post by ketskari »

That tutorial is very helpful! I was wondering about this just the other day. I knew I had to keep the horizon line fairly high, but it never occurred to me to hang the characters at chest level, or to measure the building's proportions with the characters. Thank you. :)

Hapuki
Regular
Projects: Another Glance , Osiris: Ordinance of the Thorns , The Sprout Club
Organization: Simply Happy Studios

#4 Post by Hapuki »

Oh my good golly goodness thank you SO MUCH for making the tutorial- now I actually can't wait to try my hand at drawing backgrounds! Your tut was both very helpful and funny! Please let me know if you have any more tuts out there- I'd definitely love to see them!
Image Image Image

Morishita
Veteran

#5 Post by Morishita »

Armee wrote:Really lovely of you and this tutorial. I have been messing with the same mistakes for awhile. (Drawing scenery sucks for me...ahahaha...) I guess I better warm up to receive my laptop once it fixed and continue on the journey of (miserable) drawing BGs (that I have been neglecting for weeks). I hope my Manga Studio 5 didn't disappear or else I have to install again. >_>
You're very welcome ^^ I'm so glad that the tutorial was helpful. I still make a lot of mistakes with my backgrounds but thankfully Deji and Sarah help point our any odd parts to me so that I can fix it so don't feel too down, you're not alone in this fight against making a good looking background ^^;
Landscape backgrounds are one of my favorites, I'll make sure to post up another livestream when I'm working on that. I can help show you how I do my trees and foliage and what not's if you'd like.
ketskari wrote:That tutorial is very helpful! I was wondering about this just the other day. I knew I had to keep the horizon line fairly high, but it never occurred to me to hang the characters at chest level, or to measure the building's proportions with the characters. Thank you. :)
Aww! You're welcome. I actually didn't have a clue about the horizon line rule so everything that I put in the tutorial was a whole new lesson for me ^^; I didn't really have the best relationship with my art teacher so I couldn't really understand and learn everything he was trying to explain when it came to perspective and proportions but I'm learning and understanding it a lot better now and I'm so happy to see that this is actually helping others too <3

Hapuki wrote:Oh my good golly goodness thank you SO MUCH for making the tutorial- now I actually can't wait to try my hand at drawing backgrounds! Your tut was both very helpful and funny! Please let me know if you have any more tuts out there- I'd definitely love to see them!
You're welcome <3 I'm happy that it helped. When I make some more tutorials I'll make sure to post them either on here or on my tumblr or DA account. For now I'll keep doing these livestream background tutorial's so that others can reference back to it if they might need a little help or whatever else while they are working on their backgrounds.

I'm all done with today's livestream. For the next livestream I will be showing you how I color in my backgrounds. I'll make sure to post up a update for when I'm doing the next tutorial, which I shall call the background coloring tutorial <3
barn-part1.jpg
Here is what the barnyard looks like so far. I would have recorded my process of drawing in the hay but the livestream was already over 3 hours and 30 minutes so I decided to cut it off there. I'll post up the finished lines on my tumblr for those that are interested in seeing it <3

It looks like my little sugar high on all of those starburst got the best of me because I started getting super sleepy right when I was about to start the livestream but no worries because I'm starting it up right now <3
Today I will show you how to ink in a barnyard background, using Manga Studio EX4. I'll also try to explain some of the pen's and markers that I use for this background.

Thank you so much for waiting, I plan on turning on my mic so that I can explain some of the steps that I will be doing but as a fair warning, my goofy children are up and they like to scream, holler, laugh like mad scientist and so on and so forth ^^; I would do it while they are taking a nap but....whenever I put them up for naps they don't really seem to be taking one at all and still get up to play.....=___= so just be aware that some of the extra noise will be them but I will try to mute the mic whenever that happens so that this livestream won't be to much of a disaster ^^;

Hapuki
Regular

#6 Post by Hapuki »

Aw man I wish I had caught you in action ;m; Around what time do you usually stream? Well then again I suppose it's whenever you have a chance since you such a busy life! ;//v//; Also thanks for referring me to other places where I can see more of your work, and not surprisingly- I love it! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next update and thanks for replying to my post! ;//v//;
Image Image Image

Morishita
Veteran

Re: [Livestream Tutorial] Coloring in Background Art -OFFLIN

#7 Post by Morishita »

Hapuki wrote:Aw man I wish I had caught you in action ;m; Around what time do you usually stream? Well then again I suppose it's whenever you have a chance since you such a busy life! ;//v//; Also thanks for referring me to other places where I can see more of your work, and not surprisingly- I love it! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next update and thanks for replying to my post! ;//v//;
You're very welcome <3 Thank you so much for stopping by Hapuki =D I try to usually do livestream the day after the thumbnail for the next background has been approved but there really isn't a set day for that. Monday's are usually the best day's for me to do a livestream because there isn't much to do during the evening on Mondays. I might work on trying to make a set schedule for these livestreams but that all depends on a lot of different things but I'll make sure to keep making post about whenever I'm going to do a livestream.

Now for today's livestream I will be showing you how I go about coloring in my backgrounds and I will also show you some of the background coloring tutorials that I've found useful online. Some are in japanese but you can still look at the pictures in the tutorial to kind of help you figure out what you need to do. I'll make sure to post the links to the backgrounds tutorials that I mentioned in this post.
This livestream would have been started sooner but when I got up and sat down at the computer I was already starting to fall back asleep, so I decided to go back an take a little nap, unfortunately the kids are awake right now but this time I plan on cutting the livestream off if the get to.....crazy ^^; Hopefully they should be fine for the next 3 hours but I'll play it by ear ^^;

Helpful Background Tutorial's referenced too:
Background Process by Arisu *english*
Aquamary's background tutorials*This site is in Japanese but just click through the links at you will find many different tutorial's and background process steps that I find very helpful.
K-After Background reference*This site is in Japanese and be careful when viewing this website because I've come across some icky things, now they might not be icky to you, so more power to you but they are to me but they do have a lot of finished backgrounds for you to look over so that you can get an idea on how the lighting and shading was handled, I've linked to a set of backgrounds but they have many others for you to look over on their site as well. Just walk easy when going through that site =__=
Tree Tutorial on Pixiv
Another Tree Tutorial on pixiv
Another nifty tree Tutorial on Pixiv
Rock Tutorial on Pixiv
Wood and Cement Textured Tutorial on Pixiv
Brick wall and more cement textured tutorial on Pixiv
Nifty Background Process on Pixiv

Okay, I think that's all of the links for now. Hopefully these will be of some use to you. Now it's time to start the livestream <3

It looks like livestream quit on me right after I was able to set the base colors done. I'll have to come back later to record the next half, hopefully the program won't quit on me again Q^Q
barn-base copy.jpg

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#8 Post by Destiny »

Wow, this is amazing :)
The videos as much as the tutorial image for the city of Oliver.
My strong point had always been animals, my so-so humans, but nature and architecture are my eternal nightmare, so you can't imagine how much this helps me ^_^
Especially since I need about 40 detailed ackgrounds, since it would be a Click&Point :'D
With someone like me with no "perspective" in the blood, this is like a revelation!
Hope, you keep this up for a long time, I am sure many others will appreciate this, too.
Too bad, many haven't seem to found this yet. Also, are you on deviantArt? You might consider posting your fantastic tutorial image there, things like that are always looked for desperately ;)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Morishita
Veteran

#9 Post by Morishita »

Destiny wrote:Wow, this is amazing :)
The videos as much as the tutorial image for the city of Oliver.
My strong point had always been animals, my so-so humans, but nature and architecture are my eternal nightmare, so you can't imagine how much this helps me ^_^
Especially since I need about 40 detailed ackgrounds, since it would be a Click&Point :'D
With someone like me with no "perspective" in the blood, this is like a revelation!
Hope, you keep this up for a long time, I am sure many others will appreciate this, too.
Too bad, many haven't seem to found this yet. Also, are you on deviantArt? You might consider posting your fantastic tutorial image there, things like that are always looked for desperately ;)
I'm so glad that these video's can be of help to you, I'm also still in the learn process so we both can learn together ^^ Good luck with your backgrounds!
Here's a link to my Deviantart page, I've posted one of the tutorials so far and it does seem to be interesting a good amount of people. I'll have to think up of another tutorial to post up, for now all I can really do is the livestream video's ^^;

Today's livestream will be me coloring in a blended landscape scene for Autumn's Journey. It will start from 7am-10am central time. If you'd like to join me feel free to stop by. I will be using the new Livestream website since I had a few hiccups with the old livestream *it had quit on me right after I had finished setting the base colors for my last background* Hope to see you there!

All done for today! I'll be back with another livestream later <3
guild-wip2.jpg
guild-wip.jpg

Hapuki
Regular

#10 Post by Hapuki »

The tutorials you linked in your earlier post are really helpful and amazing! :D Thank you for sharing them!!
Image Image Image