BiMonthly Drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

Re: Weekly drawing -- source of drawing motivation!

#166 Post by Duskylli »

@sasquatchii- Thanks! Nice collab! Its quite calming and sparkly and I like the concept. What are the black things? Oh and let me know how you go with the pencils :3

@Anne- Cute :3 Nice texture.

@Katta- I immediately thought delinquents but wanted to do something different to unknown. Oooh I like watercolours and cat comics, let me know if you finish it. Maybe you could do the rest of the page this week? :p It looks really good so far. What is the story behind the statue?

@Kohaku- Yep and don't even get me started on ears xD Ditto what sasquatichii said. Did she cut off her wing? o.o She's quite pretty and the colouring is looking smooooth! Do you blend at all or just colour pick?
Kohaku wrote: As for a new theme I have nothing because my bed is calling to me with its warm covers and comfy pillow :)
Hmm how bout "I'd rather be in bed right now!" for a new topic?

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#167 Post by unknown5 »

Kohaku wrote:As for a new theme I have nothing because my bed is calling to me with its warm covers and comfy pillow :)
trying to finish making a horror vn before halloween. i think it's affecting me head.

bed "GET IN BED, RIGHT NOW!!!" (om nom nom)

information wants to be free, yo.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#168 Post by Anne »

sasquatchii wrote: @anne: zomg I didn't get a chance to respond to this week's or last week's art that you did but I seriously love your stuff. It's SO AWESOME!! Are you currently working on any VN's? Cause I would love to have more like Fae :D
Thank you, well the last week's couple are the characters from my current project. Kind of, as the game won't have anything of the sort :lol: And I did sprites for The Red Ogre and The Blue Ogre (it's VERY short though)
That train reminds me of something (except Van Gogh of course)... Very cool.
Duskylli wrote:"I'd rather be in bed right now!"
That's so true...

Mr.turtlebits

#169 Post by Mr.turtlebits »

Hallo!! This is just a simple quick sketch I did of a rice farmer. I drew a rice farmer because of how much work goes into it and how at times they may be thinking of sleep. :) Well, have a good day my friends!!!
Attachments
image.jpg

Railgun
Regular
Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
Tumblr: railgun-gameblog

#170 Post by Railgun »

Good stuff from everyone this week!

@unknown5, fast as usual! Your concept for this week's theme is fun ^^

@sasquatchii, thanks for posting! Also, could you send me the last psd version, please? :)
Anne wrote:That train reminds me of something (except Van Gogh of course)... Very cool.
It's the train from Monet's Gare Saint-Lazare!
And I really like the style you used for the Fox 8)

@Duskylli, I don't see anything wrong with the nose! it's cool to see something different from anime noses.
As for the topic, good choice! That's all I'm thinking about after the exhausting week I had XD

@Mr.turtlebits, welcome! That's so true, considering a rice farmer works all year round and their job is very demanding :o

Kohaku
Regular

#171 Post by Kohaku »

@Katta: yep, yep which is why i make quick thumbnails so i can one day maybe go back to them, otherwise i just tend to look at art for inspiration and lose a couple of hours and realise i haven't done anything of what i was planning :(

The cat may have bitten off more than it can chew :) and i have to ask but what is the pic you posted, is their like a folktale or legend based around this?

@Anne: I love the fact that you have the chicken looking at the fox, makes me think of fantastic mr fox :)

@sasquatchii & Railgun: Nice idea, I thought that was ET in the backround at first glance :)

@Duskylli: check your pm.

@Mr.turtlebits: Welcome, that's a tough job indeed and i guess for very little pay.

@unknown5: made me smile when i saw this first thing in the morning as i knew who's it was immediately, like railgun said a definate fun piece :)

As for the lady in my pic I can't help you with whats happening as that's for your own interpretation of what you see...hehe..but no she didn't cut her wing off.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#172 Post by sendo »

@Mr.turtlebits - Thanks! Yeah, it's tough being an adventurer because you live next to danger (hey that rhymes lol) But I guess that's what it means to be an adventurer, right? : D Nice drawing btw, I have huge respect for rice farmers not only because their work is physically demanding but also because they grow rice, I love rice! Also, welcome aboard, hope to see more from you! : )

@unknown5 - heh, that's what my bed looks right now lol x'D

-- Breaking Laws --

@sasquatchii - Aw I didn't get to see it, I guess I'll just wait for Railgun to post it.

@Anne - The chicken's expression is priceless! xD

@Katta - Aww finish the rest of the comic! I wonder what the cat would feel once it finds out that it can't eat the fish haha. Love the reference photo btw : D

@Kohaku - Sometimes it's nice to not overthink things and just draw whatever! Nice study, keep it up : )

@Duskylli - Painting nose is pretty hard especially if you're starting with an anime nose. I'm having a hard time myself, because I kinda default to anime nose and don't know how to properly render it haha D:

@unknown5 - lol at edit xD xD It definitely gives off that war-mongering feel to it, ready to break some bones and laws. I can easily see him in a Bosozoku gang.

-- Fire --

@Katta - I like the elegance and danger mixed in. Coincidentally, my first idea was a bit similar to this (elegant pose with flames dancing around) but I couldn't do it on traditional x'D.

@Anne - Man they look fiercely passionate!(pls forgive the lame pun attempt xD) But I love it, it's really clean and the colors are really nice! Good job : D

@Railgun - Yeah Kohaku and I also discussed your process in a PM. It's nice that you're also thinking about the composition of a painting, it definitely guided my eyes around the image so I think you did a good job. It's pretty interesting to learn about collab workflows. Awesome entry btw, it reminds me of the Fire Benders in Avatar.

@0000-0000 - Cute girl you've got there : )

@unknown5 - Oh nice I love the concept! I imagine her floating in the air, scattering soot as she goes and constantly pulsating fire. Would love to see a full picture!

@sasquatchii - I'd love to pet that creature if it weren't for those scary fangs and fire body! I also find it hard to draw or paint fire, luckily we can use custom brushes for those ; )

@Kohaku - That's pretty cool, it reminds me of those high-adrenaline chases in movies. I actually kinda imagine how the camera will follow that craft doing some quick turns, narrowly missing laser beams and ultimately get away from whatever is chasing it. Also, nice guesses but she's actually jumping ; )

After the edit, the topic is still what I exactly feel right now xD. Here's something quick and dirty.
Attachments
10-20-14 letmesleep!.jpg
Last edited by sendo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Mr.turtlebits

#173 Post by Mr.turtlebits »

Oh I really like it!!! Camping is so much fun, especially when there are little monsters attacking you! :)

Kohaku
Regular

#174 Post by Kohaku »

@crestforge: lol, questing is never over, for quick and dirty that's pretty nice.

Here is my submission, wanted to make it bleak but ended being quite colourful :? does it meet the "I'd rather be in bed right now!" theme not sure.
Attachments
mining.jpg

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#175 Post by sasquatchii »

@unknown5: Holy crap that bed is terrifying, for some crazy reason it reminds me of the talking toilet in Look Who's Talking Too! :3
@Anne: Yes I played The Red Ogre and The Blue Ogre and I really liked it!! :) Nice job with that one too
@crestforge: Nice sketch!! For some crazy reason, my mind went to DragonQuest. There are so many slimes in that game it's ridiculous.
@kohaku: I LOVE THIS. It tells a story for sure, and I can't stop looking at it! Is it the grim reaper mining something? Or has the grim reaper come to take the lives of miners? Or is it just an ominous looking miner? Whichever way you interpret it, it is very cool!

For mine, I just wanted to do something more flat and experimental this week. I felt like this all the time when I was in school.
Attachments
iwish.png
iwish.png (6.36 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
ImageImage

Railgun
Regular

#176 Post by Railgun »

@Kohaku, nice comp and I like your shapes!

@crestforge, don't worry, I'll post it later ;)
I like the theme you chose this week x)
As for the jumping girl from last week, she has such nice rythm!!

@sasquatchii, wow! It looks so simple and so clean, but the simplicity can be deceiving in terms of time spent to make it! Did you take long?
Really liking the style :->

Here's something quick and dirty too as I'm procrastinating and pulling an all-nighter>__>
Attachments
Dilemnma02.jpg

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#177 Post by Anne »

And I'm not even stopped by the fact that there already is a better execution of basically the same idea.

0000-0000

#178 Post by 0000-0000 »

Last edited by 0000-0000 on Wed May 20, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#179 Post by chocojax »

Here's mine! I'm pretty tired right now too, actually. :O
2014102601.png
(I'm too lazy to respond to previous responses, so I'll just do comments on the most recent topic! :P)

@unknown5: Gahgaha, I find that pretty adorable, sort of. Not if I actually wanted to sleep on that, of course. Also, dem colors you used for the blankets are very nice.

@crestforge: Sheeet, just go sleep in the tent, yo! Slimes don't mean nothing. :P

@Mr.turtlebits: Farmer, go to sleep, yo!

@Kohaku: I agree, that looks awesome, dood! I love the change in colors at the focal point. Ah, mining... Makes me imagine little tired dwarves just passing out from exhaustion. :D

@sasquatchii: I do that every hour of every day!!

@Railgun: Awwww maaaaan. Decisions, decisions. :P

@Anne: Hahaha. I like the person in the foreground! Very soft, but still humorous.

Railgun
Regular

#180 Post by Railgun »

New topic: METAMORPHOSIS

@Anne, I feel a kind of softness to it :)

@0000-0000, you should consider posting in the Art Dumpage thread since the goal of this (weekly drawing) thread is to show what you can do with a topic constraint!

@chocojax, cool color scheme (pun unintended)! I love how you make each stroke count 8)