Would this work to replicate from paper to digital?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Would this work to replicate from paper to digital?

#1 Post by Shinoki »

I'm not so great at using a drawing tablet, so my pencil doodles always turn out a lot lot lot better. And when it comes to pencil doodles, I get the eyes situated in the right spot more accurately (first three tries yay~) when doing it on lined paper. So, when it comes to making VN sprites and all that, it'd probably be better to have a clean digital drawing rather than a scanned in doodle unless you have some epic scanner that manages to get your picture in all it's glory and easy to clean up.

Thus, I was thinking that most things like GIMP or Photoshop have layer options. If so, maybe it'd work to scan the paper drawing in, trace over your scanned in drawing in a different layer, and then clean it and color it. So, if anyone has done this before or has an opinion on it, uh...douzo~

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Would this work to replicate from paper to digital?

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Working from traditional to digital is quite common. If you're better at drawing on paper, but want to do most of the heavy work like lineart and coloring digitally, than that is completely fine. I'd say that's just an extra step since you're doing scanning instead of directly drawing on the computer.

I made a list of digital tutorials and one of them is how to clean up pencil lines in Photoshop. I'm pretty sure this could work in GIMP as well, but this goes to show how you can do clean linework traditionally and then just adjust it on the computer.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#3 Post by JumpJump »

Shinoki wrote:I'm not so great at using a drawing tablet, so my pencil doodles always turn out a lot lot lot better. And when it comes to pencil doodles, I get the eyes situated in the right spot more accurately (first three tries yay~) when doing it on lined paper. So, when it comes to making VN sprites and all that, it'd probably be better to have a clean digital drawing rather than a scanned in doodle unless you have some epic scanner that manages to get your picture in all it's glory and easy to clean up.

Thus, I was thinking that most things like GIMP or Photoshop have layer options. If so, maybe it'd work to scan the paper drawing in, trace over your scanned in drawing in a different layer, and then clean it and color it. So, if anyone has done this before or has an opinion on it, uh...douzo~
A little tip first. If you are not doing this already, put your mouse to one side and just use the tablet on your computer. I was surprised how much better I got to grips with my tablet when I did it.

I've seen others just work on a detailed pencil picture and using the multiply layers in Photoshop and then just colour it in. I did a few rough sketches using the tablet and then went over it using the pen tool, but now I draw and ink my work before I scan it. It comes down to what best works for you.
MaiMai wrote:I made a list of digital tutorials and one of them is how to clean up pencil lines in Photoshop. I'm pretty sure this could work in GIMP as well, but this goes to show how you can do clean linework traditionally and then just adjust it on the computer.
It's a good tutorial.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world

#4 Post by Shinoki »

@MaiMai: Waaah, tutorial. I'll check it out.
@JumpJump: Okey~ though I never use my mouse for drawing anyways since it's not a mouse, but a touch pad thing on a laptop.
@Both: Thank you~ :)

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#5 Post by JumpJump »

Shinoki wrote:@JumpJump: Okey~ though I never use my mouse for drawing anyways since it's not a mouse, but a touch pad thing on a laptop.
Sorry, I should of been a little more clear. Use the tablet to do everything on your laptop.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Shinoki
Veteran

#6 Post by Shinoki »

@JumpJump: I'll try and use the tablet for my computer stuff then~

buttdumpling
Regular
Projects: Dämmerung

#7 Post by buttdumpling »

I pretty much always start out with a physical drawing, and then go into digital.
You can also clean up lineart really easily with the Curve vector tool on Paint Tool Sai or the Pen tool in photoshop. Paint Tool Sai is more intuitive in my experience, but they both are used to great success. The other thing about vectors is that they function a lot like objects, so you can move & morph parts (like eyes) really easily.