Sprite emotions: open mouth and closed or just one state?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
MelodyKnighton
Regular
Projects: too many
Organization: Los Muertos Studios
Tumblr: MelodyKnighton

Sprite emotions: open mouth and closed or just one state?

#1 Post by MelodyKnighton »

So, while making the sprites for my game I've created 8 emotions with an open mouth and a closed mouth version for each. I didn't really think about it while making it, it seemed like the obvious thing to do, but now that I'm playing through a few visual novels, i'm not seeing many use both.

Am I doing more work (for myself and the programmer) than I should be? I don't mind, but the fact that I'm not seeing them used often makes me think I might be doing something wrong. Most have the characters speaking in the text box but the character on the screen has their mouth closed (with the exception of them shouting usually).

I'm not a programmer so I'm hesitant to create any extra work that doesn't need to be there. Would the added states be off putting to look at since it's not very common? Is it possible to fade between the two sprites on screen so the change appears more animated and natural? If so, would this be difficult for a programmer to do often?

Thanks in advance for any sort of feedback. I've only created the emotions for a couple sprites so far so it's not a huge waste on way or another if I need to rethink them.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

Re: Sprite emotions: open mouth and closed or just one state

#2 Post by Asceai »

I haven't seen this kind of thing before. Honestly I'd have to see it in a game before I'd be able to say how it looks - but I guess it's like animated mouth movements, except without the animation.

I don't think more expressiveness is a bad thing though.

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#3 Post by Juneberry »

More expressiveness is not a bad thing, but I know from personal attempts it can be hard- but if you have a really good coder (I'm an amateur) and such, it probably won't turn out badly at all. And overall, as long as they can keep the sprites and such after naming them in the script organized in name and such, it shouldn't be too bad.

If it might help at all, I found when I made mine it looked at least a wee bit better when I added transparency to the closed mouths to point out 'hey they're inactive right now'. But at the same time, it was still a bit troublesome...I think it really depends on the game and such, as well as those working on it. But it can't hurt that bad...Right? >w<

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Asceai »

Scripting isn't a big deal and programmers are supposed to be able to find ways to automate repetitive things. They're programmers, after all =P

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#5 Post by MelodyKnighton »

Thanks for the fast response. I've already named them all in the clearest way to keep them organized and easy to remember. I'm also writing the script in ren'py's format so I should, in theory, be able to define and call them to the screen with my very basic knowledge of the program, thus cutting down some of the repetitive side for the programmer.

I think you're right that it might look good, so it may be worth the effort to make them all, and then if for some reason it doesn't work, I just have to delete the extras. No harm no foul.

Though, I am still surprised I don't see it more often. It seems 'normal' but at the same time I never noticed anything out of the ordinary when playing all the games that don't do it (aka most of them). Maybe players just don't notice since they're busy ready the text?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I do both for all my sprites. I also create all the mouths, eyes and eyebrows on different layers using a mix and match system. I don't program the sprites, but this is a fairly common method and gives the person telling the story the greatest flexibility. For mouths I most commonly do: Normal, Open, Smile, Grin, Gritted, Pout, though these can vary based on the personality of the character. These days I tend to try and not go overboard to save myself work so I focus on what kind of expressions the character would use. And then an angry character might have 'angry' eyebrows and then 'furious' eyebrows because that is what is called for!

And yes, you can add transitions to the sprites :) This way they fade in and out and the change isn't so harsh. This is common and is usually a sign of attention to detail in the game, like a custom GUI.

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#7 Post by MelodyKnighton »

thanks for the visual Auro-Cyanide. You make some great games so that gives me confidence in the technique. : )

I create my sprites in a similar way (different parts on different layers almost like a dress up games) so I'm happy to hear I'm not screwing up royally. haha.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#8 Post by Duskylli »

Hey Pep! Did you mean an animated lip flap like in Cinders? Its not really difficult but I found it just takes a bit of extra time to code it for every character for every emotion. But if your programmer is experienced they'll probably whizz through it.

MelodyKnighton
Regular

#9 Post by MelodyKnighton »

Hey, you remember me. haha. Lip flap would be super cool, but probably a bit more involved than I would want for this initial game. The next one I make I'll want to do animated sprites (hair, gestures, lip flap, ect), but for this one I was just thinking of fading from an open mouth to a closed when when the characters is/isn't speaking.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Asceai »

Plus, lip flap with just open and closed frames tends to look bad. You need a minimum of three frames, I think.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#11 Post by Duskylli »

Welcome back :3 Oh I see, you shouldn't have too much trouble with that. Best of luck! I'll check out your game when its ready.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

MelodyKnighton wrote:thanks for the visual Auro-Cyanide. You make some great games so that gives me confidence in the technique. : )

I create my sprites in a similar way (different parts on different layers almost like a dress up games) so I'm happy to hear I'm not screwing up royally. haha.
I've personally have found it to be most efficient, and artist like Deji does the same. As you go you'll find shortcuts and certain ways of doing things that work the best for you, but it sounds like you are on the right track! Good luck, the art for game already looks beautiful~