Coloring and layers?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Coloring and layers?

#1 Post by Shinoki »

Under the assumption that you use layers and build up on a drawing until ya got the picture and cleaned the scratchy-ness and etc-basically clean line art. Do you merge all the layers of drawing together and then color on another layer underneath?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Coloring and layers?

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Shinoki wrote:Under the assumption that you use layers and build up on a drawing until ya got the picture and cleaned the scratchy-ness and etc-basically clean line art. Do you merge all the layers of drawing together and then color on another layer underneath?
Honestly, this varies from person to person. Some people will clean up their drawing and color underneath it as you describe or if you're me, I make lines over my drawing for completely clean lineart and then color underneath it. Others won't even use lines and instead just literally paint their image starting from base colors or even coloring over their lines. People work differently and it depends on their style.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Keilis
Regular

#3 Post by Keilis »

Yeah, once I have all the lines cleaned, I merge everything so there's only one layer of lines. Underneath the lineart layer, I have my layers for flats, one for each colour I use. That way, if I don't like the flat colour later on, I can just adjust the hue/saturation/brightness of that one colour. Also helps with masking when I shade on a multiply layer.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#4 Post by sendo »

Yeah, I also have all my lines in 1 layer and color underneath, except in cases where there are switchable elements such as alternative clothing, accessory, or anything really that can be shown/hidden. In which case, I give them a separate layer of line and color layers and group them together just to keep things organized.

Sometimes though, I still find some errors in my cleaned lines and the way I fix it is to create "Temp" layers described here: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/dp101-4/. The video talks about coloring but it is also applicable with lineart. Relevant bits start at around 4:10.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

bearsrcute

#5 Post by bearsrcute »

for people who like to color their lineart sometimes they separate it to make coloring the lineart easier
Also for a certain type of lineartless style for digital painting the lineart is eventually is merged with the colors and then little by little colored over