Beginner Level>Ren'Py>Questions>Graphics>Basics

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
heartdivine

Beginner Level>Ren'Py>Questions>Graphics>Basics

#1 Post by heartdivine »

Hi Everyone~

You can call me, Heart.

This question might sound silly as from what I have checked so far - a lot of the people here are quite experienced. I have a few questions to ask, hoping there will be some kind heart person willing to answer and listen. As you see, I love anime - this led me to otome games and with the interest of making one for myself using Ren'Py. The thing is.. ever since way back, all I am good at and passionate about is making stories, fiction novels and scripts. Nothing more or less.

I tried working on my drawing skills though, I even bought a tablet - it's just that I was unable to use it as.. I can't seem to know how to draw properly and all that. Seeing tutorials and doing it yourself are two different things. (Sadly!) Anyway, I tried working on Ren'Py - putting on the words, scripts and coding is not much of a big deal for me - at least, for now. What I am really concern with are the graphics.

Is there anyone willing to let me know how people draw those 2D drawings and attached them to Ren'Py in the process? I really don't get how people are able to draw those stuff.. All I can ever draw are my own drawings by hand - I wish I can make them digitally even though it may not be the best thing to see.. but I really want to make a game even with my crappy graphics. :( Is there any way to achieve this or do I really need to have a talent in drawing or less I won't ever make this happen at all? :(

PS. Sorry if I am in the wrong thread or anything. I am not really sure where to post this.

Llunet1
Regular
Projects: Reminiscence, Blood
Deviantart: llunet1

Re: Beginner Level>Ren'Py>Questions>Graphics>Basics

#2 Post by Llunet1 »

Hello! :)
To make the sprites it's best to have it in a digital medium. I personally draw my sprites as knee-ups and have folders for expressions, different outfits and poses (extra outfits and poses are optional - I ended up putting them due to a "dare" of sorts XD)
Then, I size it (and I usually crop some of the knee - I draw extra so I can have a nice, straight crop through all my sprites), save individual images with a transparent background... and then move all of my files (actually I copy them in case anything happens) into my game file. (Actually, I made a sprite file into my game file to keep everything neat - you just need to add FOLDERNAME/ before your file name when you call for your image.)

I suggest having all the sprites lined up by their knees (or something like that - knees are just very easy to keep together). This way you can have different characters have different heights in your game and have them all cropped to the same line. (I drew sketches of all the sprites on one file, lined up their knees, and made a "cut off" line where I would crop all the sprites. This way they are actually taller than each other and to me it's just easier... I'm sure other sprite artists do this differently)

You will need to use a tablet to do this (or rather it's preferred). It is possible to use a mouse but to me it's much harder and more tedious. If you have Photoshop you can use paths (you can make a "path" that your line will take and then form it... this can also be used to select areas of your sprite to color)... if you have Paint Tool SAI you can use the linework layer capability (it allows you to use line tools). Or you can also use paths on GIMP. You can also use vectors (that's like a line tool, but you can zoom or expand it to any size without ruining the quality) from Adobe Illustrator or Manga Studio 5. You should be able to move certain "points" to get your line in the right shape.

Or, you can hire someone to make you sprites. Or use free ones that I believe are available on the ren'py site? I'm not sure...
I, for one, will make sprites for pay ^^; (But I don't have a paypal so it has to be on deviantart, which is a bit of pain for anyone who doesn't use that site ^^;)
OR. You can also join a VN group (I'm not sure how you'll go about that though) and you could work with some sprite artists there.

I still greatly suggest learning how to use your tablet since you have one. But it might take some time.
Using a tablet properly has nothing to do with artistic talent. It takes time for EVERYONE to get used to - it took me a year to fully get used to it and start to draw from scratch with a tablet. (I've been using my tablet for about 4 years now) If you need, you should try scanning (or taking a picture... but scanning is better) your drawings and try to trace it by using your tablet.
Make sure you've installed your driver though! If you don't you will not have pressure and you might have calibration issues!

If you don't mind, what type of tablet do you have?

I hope this helps. :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

To make digital art, usually people use a graphics tablet like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10841 (Or Wacom brand).

Alternatively, you can scan the art into your computer and isolate the lineart in Photoshop and then color it in using your mouse. An example of that is in this tutorial: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=54793

meiri
Regular
Projects: Tutor Tabitha, Movement
Organization: Blue Bottlecap Games

#4 Post by meiri »

I completely understand your difficulty with switching from traditional to digital.
As others have said, you can scan your traditional work and color it digitally, but this is not capable for all people.
One thing that may help you a lot is to get a good digital art program. (You may have to try several)
What may help a lot is that you get a digital program with a stabilizer. It will help to steady your strokes and keep them from being shaky as you adjust to drawing digitally. Paint Tool SAI and FireAlpaca both have stabilizers. (I have GIMP and Photoshop but as far as I'm aware they don't have stabilizers-- I could be wrong though.)

Try doing little line tests and things with your tablet, to get used to it.
line tests
line tests
Its important to learn little techniques like layers, how brushes work, and keyboard shortcuts. I might suggest ctrlpaint.com for learning these basics (they are the same in nearly every program).

As for how I position my sprites, I like to do about upper/mid thigh and up. Full body character sprites look awkward on screen at times.
thigh up and also this anatomy is off do not reference it too much
thigh up and also this anatomy is off do not reference it too much
Keep in mind that you dont have to necessarily draw manga/anime for you visual novel. Cartoony/semirealistic/realistic approaches work well too.

Something else is that the background of your sprites MUST be transparent in order to see the background around them. Programs like GIMP and Photoshop represent transparency with a dark and light grey checkerboard. In a program like Paint Tool SAI, its done a bit differently since some versions do/dont support transparency... If your sprite characters do not have a transparent backgrounds, white boxes/dots may appear around them and it can be visually unappealing and/or obscure your background.

Art skill doesnt necessarily limit your ability to make a visual novel. There are programs you can use to make sprites, you can hire/recruit others to do the art for you, or you can download sprites that have creative commons or free to use licenses on them. :) Some visual novels don't even have sprites, some are made with just backgrounds, a really good story, and sound (there are visual novel types called soundstory which base a lot of the story off of sound.)

Good luck in making your VN! :) (Also I hope this isnt too much, and I hope I accurately assesed your question)
What's in a loop? A loop iterated in any other way would output as sweet.
--
Have a look at my GxG kinetic novel, Movement, if you have the chance?

heartdivine

#5 Post by heartdivine »

Llunet1 wrote:Hello! :)
To make the sprites it's best to have it in a digital medium. I personally draw my sprites as knee-ups and have folders for expressions, different outfits and poses (extra outfits and poses are optional - I ended up putting them due to a "dare" of sorts XD)
Then, I size it (and I usually crop some of the knee - I draw extra so I can have a nice, straight crop through all my sprites), save individual images with a transparent background... and then move all of my files (actually I copy them in case anything happens) into my game file. (Actually, I made a sprite file into my game file to keep everything neat - you just need to add FOLDERNAME/ before your file name when you call for your image.)

I suggest having all the sprites lined up by their knees (or something like that - knees are just very easy to keep together). This way you can have different characters have different heights in your game and have them all cropped to the same line. (I drew sketches of all the sprites on one file, lined up their knees, and made a "cut off" line where I would crop all the sprites. This way they are actually taller than each other and to me it's just easier... I'm sure other sprite artists do this differently)

You will need to use a tablet to do this (or rather it's preferred). It is possible to use a mouse but to me it's much harder and more tedious. If you have Photoshop you can use paths (you can make a "path" that your line will take and then form it... this can also be used to select areas of your sprite to color)... if you have Paint Tool SAI you can use the linework layer capability (it allows you to use line tools). Or you can also use paths on GIMP. You can also use vectors (that's like a line tool, but you can zoom or expand it to any size without ruining the quality) from Adobe Illustrator or Manga Studio 5. You should be able to move certain "points" to get your line in the right shape.

Or, you can hire someone to make you sprites. Or use free ones that I believe are available on the ren'py site? I'm not sure...
I, for one, will make sprites for pay ^^; (But I don't have a paypal so it has to be on deviantart, which is a bit of pain for anyone who doesn't use that site ^^;)
OR. You can also join a VN group (I'm not sure how you'll go about that though) and you could work with some sprite artists there.

I still greatly suggest learning how to use your tablet since you have one. But it might take some time.
Using a tablet properly has nothing to do with artistic talent. It takes time for EVERYONE to get used to - it took me a year to fully get used to it and start to draw from scratch with a tablet. (I've been using my tablet for about 4 years now) If you need, you should try scanning (or taking a picture... but scanning is better) your drawings and try to trace it by using your tablet.
Make sure you've installed your driver though! If you don't you will not have pressure and you might have calibration issues!

If you don't mind, what type of tablet do you have?

I hope this helps. :)
Thanks for replying back! I actually have no idea what sprites are or those knee things - but can you give me an average rate if I ever wanted to have them paid? Anyway, I kind of get (some part) of what you have mention, thank you. The one I have is from Wacom Intuos Creative Pen and Touch Tablet. I actually tried using it - making circles lol the end result was horrible though, lol! It felt like.. a baby trying to do drawings but unable to do so, lol. I can't seem to know the difference on how to draw it on the tablet and seeing it on the screen, lol.

heartdivine

#6 Post by heartdivine »

SundownKid wrote:To make digital art, usually people use a graphics tablet like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=108&cp_id=10841 (Or Wacom brand).

Alternatively, you can scan the art into your computer and isolate the lineart in Photoshop and then color it in using your mouse. An example of that is in this tutorial: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=54793

Thanks. I have a tablet - but so hard to draw things there, lol. I would probably try to scan it though the lining through photoshop is something I probably need to practice more. thanks!

heartdivine

#7 Post by heartdivine »

@meiri

Thank you so much - I never knew that stabilizers can make a difference - I will try them out. One at a time and slowly! I might look for people to make me a few first to try things out.. and slowly work on my own - afterwards. I will practice and download those you have mention - thank you so much!

Ishigreensa

#8 Post by Ishigreensa »

I have a suggestion for practice. Take a traditionally drawn picture you've just drawn, before you color it, and put it over your tablet on the table. Then, using your tablet pen, try to trace your character's individual details, like just a hand, or arm, or something.

You can actually match these up later in renpy with a little work, and the advantage to that, is you can get different hand and arm gestures in different scenes that way while you are exploring.

heartdivine

#9 Post by heartdivine »

Ishigreensa wrote:I have a suggestion for practice. Take a traditionally drawn picture you've just drawn, before you color it, and put it over your tablet on the table. Then, using your tablet pen, try to trace your character's individual details, like just a hand, or arm, or something.

You can actually match these up later in renpy with a little work, and the advantage to that, is you can get different hand and arm gestures in different scenes that way while you are exploring.

Thank you for this tip! :)

I am not that good with drawings (traditionally) but I tried what you told me - though its not really perfect. My hand still gets shaky (getting lost track where to look exactly - pc or what, lol) but I gave it a try - so far, its the best I could do using a tablet lol!
Attachments
Capture1.JPG

Llunet1
Regular
Projects: Reminiscence, Blood
Deviantart: llunet1

#10 Post by Llunet1 »

Thanks for replying back! I actually have no idea what sprites are or those knee things - but can you give me an average rate if I ever wanted to have them paid? Anyway, I kind of get (some part) of what you have mention, thank you. The one I have is from Wacom Intuos Creative Pen and Touch Tablet. I actually tried using it - making circles lol the end result was horrible though, lol! It felt like.. a baby trying to do drawings but unable to do so, lol. I can't seem to know the difference on how to draw it on the tablet and seeing it on the screen, lol.
Sprites are your drawn characters, basically. (I asked the same question when my friend introduced me to visual novels Hahah)
I don't know how else to explain it... but I hope that's clear enough ^^;
And a knee-up... well. When you're displaying your sprites, you may not want to show the full body. You might want to have it cut off. Some people show only the head and shoulders. Some (me) show up to the knees. Basically, I'm just talking about the cut-off point.

UM. Well, it depends per person. My prices are fairly cheap... you can find nicer sprites for a higher price. UM.
I've seen some for about $10 or higher... each (These are REALLY nice ones: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =38&t=7645)
Mine are about $3-4 depending on how many expressions, outfits, poses, etc. you want ^^ (http://llunet1.deviantart.com/art/Aeyrn ... -464278654 and you can see her here: http://llunet1.deviantart.com/art/HELP- ... -465415597) Mine are cheap... Hahah...
Once again, if you want to pay for sprites from me you'd need to go through deviantart, since I don't have a paypal (QAQ I really need one...).

Ah... well. That's not a bad tablet then. I've never used that type though XD
Mm... yeah. It does take time to get used to. As someone above said, you probably need to draw lines and circles a lot and get used to the feel of a tablet. I personally got used to it by scanning my own drawings and tracing over my lines. This way I was inking, and also practicing using my tablet.
It's a touch tablet though, right? So... from what I understand you can also use your fingers to make commands on it... right? Maybe it's throwing your drawing off? Hm.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#11 Post by Kia »

Drawing or in general art is all about time and patience. its about the time you spend to improve your skills and the time you spend on the small details. if you don't have that much time and patience you should ask somebody else to do the drawings or you can use free materials on the internet. http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Main_Page is one place you can try.

but if you want to have your own drawings as material you have to put some time on it. if you are not comfortable with digital pen you can always take a picture of drawings and trace them. search "tracing" in google. best software for tracing I've ever used was adobe flash. you should try it.