3D Background Process using Blender, SAI and Photoshop

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

Re: 3D Background Process using Blender, SAI and Photoshop

#16 Post by sendo »

@SinSisters - Thanks, I'm glad it's helpful : )

@Railgun - Thanks! You know, if drawing in perspective was easy, I'd never bother with 3d! :lol:
tscbr wrote:My head kinda fried after I visited the Blender site.
I know that feeling all to well hehe :3

You might wanna start with the Blender Noob to Pro wiki. I started with this (it was for an earlier version at the time but I believe it's updated for the current version). It has an introductory chapter that explains 3d concepts. But you can always jump ahead to Unit 2 to start modeling (I did this, because my brain fried by reading nebulous concepts ahaha).

A few tips, familiarize yourself with the 3d space because you will be constantly moving around when you're modelling. Here are a few shortcuts to get you started:
  • Zoom in/out = Mouse Wheel Scroll alternatively Ctrl + Click & Drag Mouse Wheel for smooth zoom
  • Rotate = Hold & Drag mouse wheel
  • Pan = Shift + Hold Mouse Wheel + drag around
  • NumPad 1 = Front View
  • NumPad 3 = Side View
  • NumPad 7 = Top View
  • NumPad 5 = Toggle Between Orthographic and Perspective view
  • G = Translate object/geometry i.e. move something
  • S = Scale object/geometry i.e. make something bigger or smaller
  • R = Rotate object/geometry
Then, try to follow along the wiki. If you don't like reading, there are lots of video tutorials on youtube. I really recommend going through the Noob to Pro series at least once though, just because I know it will teach you how to use Blender (you can skip some topics like Game Engine and Python Scripting. Even Animation, unless you're interested in that as well). Happy blending! : )
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#17 Post by Kinmoku »

Hi Sendo, I've just stumbled upon this thread and I have to say it looks amazing! Do you find it better to work this way with 3D? How long did the scene take for you to make?

sendo
Veteran

#18 Post by sendo »

Kinmoku wrote:How long did the scene take for you to make?
Thank you! The whole scene (3d+2d) took about at least 16 hours (I did it in 3 days IIRC). It was a time where I was still figuring things out in Blender so I did a lot of tests and experiments to achieve the effect I wanted. My modeling skills back then was also underdeveloped so it took a lot of time to model things.
Kinmoku wrote:Do you find it better to work this way with 3D?
To be honest, I prefer doing things by hand now - the 2D artist inside me wants to able to draw things in perspective without 3D. I used this method before because it guaranteed nice looking perspective and I was able to freeroam the scene. The thing is, the more I used 3D, the more I neglect my perspective drawing skills (and my general 2d drawing skills to some extent). Perspective drawing is a fundamental drawing skill and I'm sidestepping it by using 3D!

It bit me hard when I was working on a background that needed a lot of edits. I couldn't even correct the errors by hand, so I had to go back to 3D and fix them there, then back to 2D for polishing, back to 3d to fix errors... you can imagine the back and forth suffering haha. And I realized, I could've fixed it on my own if I actually continued improving my perspective drawing skills, at that point I hated myself for relying too much on 3D. I somehow convinced myself that being able to freeroam the scene, reusing assets, etc are things that I absolutely need and outweighs the actual drawing skill. But the reality is, I just convinced myself to take the easy way out. Getting good at art takes time, and taking shortcuts will just hurt in the long run.

I still use 3D today, primarily as a reference - when I have complex scene that I have trouble with, I mock it up in 3D and recreate it all in 2D. 3D reinforces my understanding of perspective that I can't usually acquire with photos. Actually, there is a bigger reason why I'm not using 3D as much, and it's because I gradually fell in love with painterly looking art. I used to aim for the very clean and polished anime background art but painterly art is just so fun to do. And I found if I use 3d, my art tend to become too clean and sterile, like everything is stiff and fixed in a grid.

Well that turned out pretty long, but I wanted to explain why I don't use 3D as much and why it's not a good thing to rely on it if you want to draw environment art by hand as well. I hope this doesnt discourage people from trying 3D or 3D+2D, it may not have work for me in the end but it doesn't mean it wont work for someone else. But anyway I hope that answered your question!
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#19 Post by Kinmoku »

Ah, very interesting. I'm pretty rusty at backgrounds and see 3D as a way to help tremendously! But maybe you're right; cutting corners when I'm trying to improve might not be the best solution.

I'm thinking that if some backgrounds lend themselves well to 3D (mechanical, sterile environments) then I may give it a go, but for outdoors/ nature environments, I'll stick with painting :)

Thanks for getting back to me, it's great advice, though I still love your 3D work, haha! It's super impressive :)

sendo
Veteran

#20 Post by sendo »

Kinmoku wrote:I'm thinking that if some backgrounds lend themselves well to 3D (mechanical, sterile environments) then I may give it a go, but for outdoors/ nature environments, I'll stick with painting
Ah I definitely agree! And really, there are many cases where using 3D will save you hours of work (and frustration!) I guess what I said above is just me being a 2D artist using 3D as a crutch haha. Yeah nature environments are a little more difficult to do in 3d or at least very resource-heavy unless you use alpha textures or some other trick.

And thanks once again! I've seen your work and I'm really impressed with your 3D art. You've even got textures and rigging on your models, great work! I've always kinda avoided UV mapping because the UVs are a pain to set up properly ahaha :'D
Finished VNs:
Image Image