Cintiq 13hd tablet?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
lemonokashi
Regular

Cintiq 13hd tablet?

#1 Post by lemonokashi »

For those of you who don't know me already my name is Kat and I'm a sprite/CG artist in the ren'py world and a professional colorist outside of that. Up until now I have used a Bamboo Splash which I have needed to replace on a yearly basis. It has a huge disconnect problem and I usually end up with the cord taped to the tablet within a month of first purchasing it, so I have given up on that particular model. I'm leaning toward the cintiq 13hd tablet because of how portable it is, but I know absolutely nothing about tablets with built in monitors.
Can anyone give me advise on which tablet to buy or a review on any experience you have had with a Cintiq tablet, My price range is under $3,000 and I'm looking for something small enough that I could carry it in my backpack to school every day and with a monitor. Also does anyone know if all wacom tablets have disconnect problems or just their cheaper models like splash?

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Cintiq 13hd tablet?

#2 Post by chocojax »

I don't really have any advice with Cintiqs/monitor tablets, but I've never had any disconnect problems with the models I've used (Graphire4, Intuos5). I've heard good things about the Bamboo line, so it might just be you got a bad model/the splash line is bad?

lemonokashi
Regular

#3 Post by lemonokashi »

chocojax wrote:I don't really have any advice with Cintiqs/monitor tablets, but I've never had any disconnect problems with the models I've used (Graphire4, Intuos5). I've heard good things about the Bamboo line, so it might just be you got a bad model/the splash line is bad?
Yea it might just be splash. I have gone through 4 of them and I've only been doing digital art for a little over 3 years. Sometimes all it takes is a new wire, but other times they just stop working all together. I just purchased another one a few minutes ago to use until I come across a higher quality tablet.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

lemonokashi wrote:
chocojax wrote:I don't really have any advice with Cintiqs/monitor tablets, but I've never had any disconnect problems with the models I've used (Graphire4, Intuos5). I've heard good things about the Bamboo line, so it might just be you got a bad model/the splash line is bad?
Yea it might just be splash. I have gone through 4 of them and I've only been doing digital art for a little over 3 years. Sometimes all it takes is a new wire, but other times they just stop working all together. I just purchased another one a few minutes ago to use until I come across a higher quality tablet.
If Splash has been giving you problems, I don't think you should purchase it again in the future. I don't have any experience with Cintiqs, but if you can afford it, you might as well get it since drawing directly on the screen is apparently a pretty good perk.

If you're fine with just a cheaper tablet though, I'd say get the Bamboo Capture or the newer Intuos line. I'm using the Wacom Intuos Small. There was nothing wrong with my Capture, all I did was replace the wire and it's been a good tablet since 2011. I just switched out to the Intuos because it was smaller and more portable and has a digital eraser (which for some reason, the Capture doesn't have).
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Hellboy
Regular

#5 Post by Hellboy »

With something under $3000 I’d buy a 27” iMac, an Intuos Pro Medium for home and an Intuos Pen Small for school. :shock:

But if you really need a monitor for your portable tablet, then I guess you need the Cintiq. There are cheaper alternatives for graphic tablets with screen, but I dare not to recommend anything else tan Wacom.
FREE and easy 3D customization, posing, and animation software with pre-made people and environments:
DAZ Studio Pro 4.9

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Cintiq 13HD can be said as the cheapest Cintiq at $999. Actually, I'm considering to buy it... I hope it's worth it (no, not Cintiq is bad, it's just whether I really need it or not)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Hellboy
Regular

#7 Post by Hellboy »

But, is it a good idea to use a small cintiq? I can see the advantage on a big one, but Isn`t it better to have a bigger workspace even if it means to use a regular tablet? I ask beacuse I tried the 13" Cintiq and it was fun, but the size didn´t felt "proffesional" or even convenient.
Just wondering... :o
FREE and easy 3D customization, posing, and animation software with pre-made people and environments:
DAZ Studio Pro 4.9

sokorou
Projects: fangirl anonymous

#8 Post by sokorou »

I never had any problems with my Bamboo Splash, and I've been using it for a little over two years now. 0.0 I have quite a bit of trust in it and the other bamboos. But if you're having issues you should stop purchasing the splash and try the others.

As for cintiq 13hd, I feel the same way as Hellboy xD The small workspace makes it difficult for me to draw the tiny details while seeing the whole picture, though I've only tried it for short amount of time. Maybe you'll get used to it with time. If you have an iPad you should try drawing on it and seeing how well you like the workspace. It won't have pressure sensitivity though D:

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#9 Post by SundownKid »

I have an iPad, and while I have enjoyed it as a lighter, faster laptop replacement (with the one fatal flaw of lacking anything I can develop games with or demo my games on), I would not really recommend it as a graphics tablet. I'm not a pro artist by any means, but it doesn't have native stylus support, so it is very imprecise. The screen is glossy and you can't rest your wrist on it either without a special glove.

lemonokashi
Regular

#10 Post by lemonokashi »

Update: Newly purchased Bamboo splash already dead and it crashed my computer only minutes after I plugged it in.
I'm thinking about the 22HD now. From what you guys are saying it sounds like the 13HD is too small to be realistic.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

Hellboy wrote:But, is it a good idea to use a small cintiq? I can see the advantage on a big one, but Isn`t it better to have a bigger workspace even if it means to use a regular tablet? I ask beacuse I tried the 13" Cintiq and it was fun, but the size didn´t felt "proffesional" or even convenient.
Just wondering... :o
My old tablet is about 13" wide too and see no problem... of course it could be different when it's a monitor too though...

But we still can't forget that for bigger tablet you need to change the movement of your hand when drawing (swiping motion for bigger tablet while only wrist movement for smaller one), and not everyone can do that... and don't forget the working space too considering bigger cintiq are all behemots... AND THE PRICE (other Cintiq cost freaking $2,000-$2,400)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Hellboy
Regular

#12 Post by Hellboy »

Yes, I mean tablets with a monitor. I'd think is better to see your work displayed big than working directly on a small size. But that's me.
When it comes to regular tablets I actually prefer small ones. I have a Bamboo Pen small. I switched to that after a week of having a big one I didn't liked.
DAZ Studio Pro 4.9

BRBeeps
Projects: Chrysanthemum Tea, Project E.A.R.T.H, Avitus
Organization: Last Word, Watercress Studios, Independant
Tumblr: segibson-art
Deviantart: buggie-running-beeps

#13 Post by BRBeeps »

I've got a Cintiq 13HD and it works a treat. I don't find it too small at all, but that's probably because I draw with my entire arm- working on a bigger screen would probably tire me out way faster due to all the extra movements I'd have to make! D:

The other thing to keep in mind about the smaller Cintiq is portability; I can take my laptop and Cintiq anywhere in my normal laptop bag and as long as I've got a power outlet, I can work (The amount of commissions I've done while sitting on friends' couches..). This is fairly important to me, may not be as important to someone who plans on working in a fixed studio.
I also can't stand the 'touch' Wacom tablets. The only thing I want interacting with the screen is my pen, thankyouverymuch :|

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#14 Post by Razz »

I bought a 13HD a couple years back and ended up selling it. Wacom used to be a game changer in the tablets business but they really haven't done anything special in recent years, more interested in perpetuating the "serious artists use wacom" brand image. Certain knock-off cintiqs are getting reviewed as better than Wacom and I believe it.

But yeah my personal experience with the 13hd was that is wasn't worth the money. It's advertised as portable which was my main draw, but the cord system was overly complicated and poor, no way is it portable. I felt like I was hooked up to a pace machine with it on my lap -_- The pen pressure was the same as my intuous4 and the color was great but on a screen the same size as my laptop.