[Learning Resources] Let's Learn Live2D Together

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Kogepan

Re: [Learning Resources] Let's Learn Live2D Together

#16 Post by Kogepan »

bunnyvoid wrote:wow awesome stufff kogepan. how long did it take you to finish your example?
Thanks! I'm glad you like it! :D

Most of the time went into studying and learning the program. Unfortunately most of the detailed tutorials are in japanese so I had to spend a lot of time researching and looking for information. Below is a breakdown of my time usage:

Learning to use the modeler: 3 days (I followed tutorials step by step and messed up the character countless times :D)
Drawing the character and separating it into layers: 2 hours (Everything was done in photoshop)
Character work in modeler: 5 hours (By this time I had learned from my prior mistakes and started from scratch)
Learning to use the animator + animating character via animator: 30 minutes (This was very easy if you have any experience with keyframe animations, I created all movement from scratch)

I estimate that now that I'm done with the training I could create an animated character from scratch within one work day. :) Which is pretty awesome compared to the countless hours I would have to spend creating different kinds of character portraits.

bunnyvoid
Regular
Projects: Lots of BG Commissions
Tumblr: bunnyvoid
Deviantart: bunnyvoid
Soundcloud: bunny-void

#17 Post by bunnyvoid »

wow that's a lot of good work... thanks for the reply
i had this program for almost half a year ago but never tried using it because the tutorials are like you say, in japanese haha

Amazing. I hope you find some good uses for it. Quality is superb!

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#18 Post by LizardRobot »

Ah, these resources are excellent! I've been considering doing Live2d, but I don't think I have the time to learn to do it on top of everything else I'm already doing. Still, maybe I can have it as a kickstarter stretch goal? Kogepan, what you did looks amazing, and really makes me want to try it!

Kogepan

#19 Post by Kogepan »

bunnyvoid wrote:wow that's a lot of good work... thanks for the reply
i had this program for almost half a year ago but never tried using it because the tutorials are like you say, in japanese haha

Amazing. I hope you find some good uses for it. Quality is superb!
Thanks! The learning curve with this program is pretty annoying and gruelling, but after you learn the ropes it gets really nice and quick to use. :)

Kogepan

#20 Post by Kogepan »

LizardRobot wrote:Ah, these resources are excellent! I've been considering doing Live2d, but I don't think I have the time to learn to do it on top of everything else I'm already doing. Still, maybe I can have it as a kickstarter stretch goal? Kogepan, what you did looks amazing, and really makes me want to try it!
Thanks LizardRobot! :D If live2d fits your project you should definitely give it a go!

My next step is to try Facerig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IINyowbMqJI with the model. It would be awesome to do all the animations with it :) I will report back when I have some results.