Help with GIMP filtering?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

Help with GIMP filtering?

#1 Post by verysunshine »

I've been trying to make my backgrounds look more painted, but I don't have Photoshop. I used GIMP.

First, I did some fiddling with the colours to make them stand out more. I followed this tutorial, being liberal with the instructions so I didn't undo my previous work.

Before:

After:

What do you suggest to make this look better? I'm aiming for a Katawa Shoujo style with a Clannad-esque colour scheme.
Attachments
After
After
Before
Before

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

Re: Help with GIMP filtering?

#2 Post by qirien »

Hmmm, well, you have a good start... it seems like one of the filters you used made things a little grainy, though. I also use GIMP, but I'm not much of an artist so it's hard for me to say! I ended up using FotoSketcher to turn photographs into BGs.

If you haven't already installed the additional GIMP plugins, I highly recommend them. You can install the gimp-plugins-registry package on linux, or get them for Windows. There's some great artistic plugins, and batch plugins, etc.
Finished games:

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Help with GIMP filtering?

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

Step 1: Apply the Oilify filter.
Step 2: Done.
:D

In all seriousness, if you don't mind a slightly cookie-cutter look, GIMP has some options under the Filters tab that should do exactly what you want. At the very least, they're fun to play with. I don't know if you have to install them separately, but they're definitely free.

(I used them for my Nano entry, but take that with a grain of salt -- I have no commercial ambitions here.)

Image Image

dillodivadus
Regular

~edited~

#4 Post by dillodivadus »

~edited~