Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 or Cintiq 22HD?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 or Cintiq 22HD?

#1 Post by Kinmoku »

Ok, so I know both the Cintiq Companion 2 and Cintiq 22HD are pretty different, but the prices are similar and I'm wondering what you guys would do in my situation.

I used to work with an iMac 27" and small Wacom intuos 3 tablet. My iMac is now 5 years old, and I wanted something portable, so I've just bought a new Macbook pro. This was £2000, so pretty pricey! Now, I am still using my intuos 3 with my new laptop, but it feels so old and laggy now and I really feel like I need to upgrade. I want a cintiq as I've tried the companion 1 before and found it so much easier to use/ reactive. I think in the long run, it will save time - I really struggle with the intuos these days...

Anyway, I use a 22" monitor alongside my laptop but I have to admit, the quality of the screen is pretty poor, especially next to my Macbook's retina display. This is why I'm thinking about getting the cintiq 22HD as it would replace my cheap monitor too. However, I really like the idea of the companion 2; being able to take it out to coffee shops, game jams, on the train etc. But I could just use a pencil and pad for that... I don't have a tablet though, so the idea of having one built into a wacom is pretty handy, but it's only 13" so I don't think it could replace my monitor. Also, I'm then looking at 3 screens on my small desk, haha!

Perhaps I've made it sound like I don't want the companion, but it's cheaper and does much more. I'd love to hear from people who use either and what your thoughts are on it. I was originally going to get the companion hybrid, but wacom haven't updated it for years now which is a shame. Also, if anyone has used the 22HD touch I'd like to know if the touch is really worth it. I imagine it maybe annoying to accidentally touch the screen whilst drawing?

LittleHorns2
Tumblr: Little-Horns

Re: Wacom Cintiq Companion 2 or Cintiq 22HD?

#2 Post by LittleHorns2 »

I've actually not heard of the Cintiq Companion 2. It looks very nifty for traveling.

I currently use a Cintiq 22HD, and personally love the room and sensitivity it has. As for resolution and screen quality, its an HD and I can say with certainty that its true to this with every pixel. What's great about these is that they're monitors, so if you're using a laptop it's considered a second monitor! The Cintiq Companion 2 seems to be its own little computer in comparison. I'm not sure how hooking it up to another computer works though.
The power button is on the back and there is also one USB slot on the side. If you like the wheel and buttons attached to the sides of the front, they are all customization and fairly sensitive. (I don't personally like them, since my hand brushes over the wheel and used to change the brush tool while I was working before I disabled it!) There are these plastic panels in the back of the monitor that you can use to adjust the angle. It can go all the way down to lay flat or get nearly to a 90 degree angle. Even though the screen is sensitive, it can take quite a lot of pressure too.

The downside to these kind of Cintiqs though is probably the wiring, as the other one I used (13 inch) had a huge cord that separated into three wires to plug in. Another thing is the weight these larger screens have. If you're not putting this on a desk, I would be careful about this. Other than that, I don't have too much negative to say about Cintiqs because I love them so much!

As for Touch, I've used Touch tablets before (Wacom) and personally didn't like them, but I have to say that it felt 'right'. What I mean is that it's coded or calibrated in a way that felt like a touchpad. It didn't glitch around or lag when I used one.
I can confirm, however, that having a touch with a tablet is very annoying for drawing, especially when someone like myself draws with my hand pressed against the tablet/screen! It catches the movements when you draw your hand back. However, at least with the tablet the Touch function was easy to disable.

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#3 Post by underbliss »

I have older models of both (assuming they've updated the cintiq 22hd in the past 2-3.. maybe even 4 years) and while lately I'm using my cintiq 22hd almost exclusively, I've also used my companion exclusively before.

For me, the first difference I'll point out is the size. Obviously the 22hd has a bigger screen... and going from one of those input style tablet pads you might not think the size difference really matters at all, I find that with the 'drawing on the screen' style tablets the size increase ends up being a lot 'nicer' than it was with the input pad things. Just the space to move your arm around and such... but that's kind of artist specific, everyone draws different. All I know is that trying to draw big landscapes or whatever on my companion feels kinda daunting and claustrophobic, but I'm fairly confident that if you work with a companion long enough that becomes a non issue, and I may get tripped up purely because I go back and forth.

The trade off of in size is portability. Additionally, for one reason or another the companion seems significantly 'clearer' or 'crisper' (which may have something to do with the fact my companion runs photoshop cc and my macbook hooked up to my 22hd runs photoshop cs6.. and my 22hd is older, i dont know, but I think the companion really does have a 'clearer' screen. With my 22hd there's an odd antiglare kind of texture that almost seems to be less obvious in the companion, but please take these observations with a grain of salt.) It ends up that my 22hd offers a sort comfortable size for laying out big pictures and scenes while the companion is comfortable for practically the opposite reasons, being able to curl up in bed and etch away at the clear details. If you wanted something portable I think the companion is a perfect size, because maneuvering it in your arms if it were any bigger it would just.. be too big.

It's worth baring in mind that the companion is it's own computer and while that's part of what makes it cool, it means that a 22hd can eventually be 'upgraded' with a newer computer a few years down the line while a companion can't.
In terms of photoshop and most relatable art programs this might not ever be a problem, and I'm not super versed with how beefed up the companion 2 is over the first release, but even with my companion 1 I'm not really concerned I'll end up unable to do what I want to with my companion in the applicable future. I have no illusions about using my companion for anything other than photoshop and the like, though if I were using it for something like 3d modeling I'd probably be somewhat more apprehensive of using a companion instead of a 22hd...

As far as the touch goes...
while it's true that your fingers or the side of your hand can occasionally derp up something while you're drawing, it doesn't happen as often (for me) as you'd think.. they also sell gloves that cover the side of your hand or just plain fingerless gloves for that if it ends up really becoming a problem for you. I actually find myself tapping on my 22hd before I realize it's not touch and I rather wish I'd bought the touch version!
I find myself wanting to pinch zoom in and out the most, which reminds me... and this blew my mind and was slightly infuriating.. for some forsaken reason with the companion (companion 1 at least) and photoshop cc pinch zoom in and out is incompatible. Was, maybe, I mean it's possible they've updated it and maybe it's not important to anyone but me hehe.
But aside from that I find the companion touch screen to be very nice. Touch screens in general have become so acclimated for me that I find things lacking them bizarre, so that just makes the companion all the more 'comfortable' feeling.

TLDR I got the impression from reading your post that what you what you really want is the companion! I think they're both quite viable and if I were picking one I don't know which I'd pick either. If all I had was my companion I'd be quite happy, as I would be the other way around, but the companion is really just a very cool little computer!

Ugh I'm sorry if I rambled too much I'm sleepy and I was hoping to be helpful, whatever you choose I hope you're pleased with your decision and enjoy your new device!

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#4 Post by Kinmoku »

Nooo, this is great feedback! Actually, it's got me thinking about my workplace posture. I have a bad neck and need to keep it level, so I think looking down/ stretching my arms using the 22HD would be bad for that. I understand you can adjust it, but I think it will put pressure on me in the long run. The flexibility of moving the companion is really attractive, but I've just read that on the companion 2, the fan is REALLY loud and the battery life is poor. It kinda defeats the point of being portable for me :( If it wasn't so pricey, I would just get it... but it's £1300 - urk!

Now, I'm thinking I should just upgrade my intuos. I used a 4 and pro at my last job, and they felt more sleek/ natural than my 3. I won't have to change my posture either... but the hand-eye co-ordination does make things difficult sometimes. Haha, I'm so undecided! Think I'll have to mull it over some more :P

quanli

#5 Post by quanli »

Wacom Cintiq Companion is a self-contained Windows computer with the full Wacom graphics tablet features already built in, which can also be used as a 'dumb' graphics tablet when connected to a Mac or PC.

Essentially, you can use this to draw, sketch and paint at your desk hooked up to your main computer, and draw, sketch and paint directly on it while sitting on the sofa or outside.

this Cintiq Companion 2 can be used at a desk as a graphics tablet for your regular computer, but because it also runs Windows, you can use full, familiar versions of Painter, Photoshop and so on when away from your workstation.

It's a solid investment for digital illustrators who want flexibility. However, if you don't need to use it away from your desk, you could save money and purchase the XP-pen Artist 15.6 Pro .

I currently use a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Screen Drawing tablet . It is a cintiq downgrade, but only because it does not have the muti-touch like the cintiq does. it support pen tilt function , 8192 pen pressure levels , battery-free and wireless stylus . 88% NTSC Color gamut , 1920x1080 resolution , 15.6 inch IPS Screen , it has no parallax , no lag .
Overall its an amazing tablet and I do suggest it! It works amazing for me, and personally, I improved a lot while using it.

The only problems, however, is that it always has to be plugged into a PC , Though it is lightweight and works great, the graphics are nice, and its only $439 .

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#6 Post by Katy133 »

I have experience using a Cintiq 22HD, and I was able to immediately get used to the feel of drawing and animating using it (my previous experience was with a Wacom pen and drawing tablet). I can highly recommend it to artists and 2D animators.

My Cintiq 22HD set up is having the Cintiq next to my computer monitor, on a desk, with the keyboard in front of the monitor. The trick is to re-map your keyboard hotkeys so that you can keep your drawing hand on the Cintiq (pen in hand), while your other hand is on the keyboard to use hotkeys. Do this as early as possible, so you quickly develop you muscle memory, because the alternative (switching between having your drawing hand on the Cintiq and moving it to the keyboard and then going back to continue drawing on the Cintiq, etc) will quickly tire your arms.

I haven't used a Wacom Cintiq Companion 2, so I can't really compare the two.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Gouka
Regular
Projects: Demon Wraith

#7 Post by Gouka »

I'd suggest a Companion 2 or a Mobile Studio since you can use solely for art and not be cluttered by other software and can work even when there's a power outage.
Check the Chaos Lord development at http://atelieredgeproductions.wordpress.com