Any good resources for learning how to draw hands?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
wendybirdx
Regular

Any good resources for learning how to draw hands?

#1 Post by wendybirdx »

Hey! So I've been looking into hands lately, and I wanted to find good books (can be short tutorials, too, but I prefer something more in depth) on drawing hands. I know of Burne Hogarth's book, but he doesn't even explain his simplification (which you can see in the sketches) in the chapter on form, and the written descriptions are a bit hard to understand.

Does anyone have anything they reccomend? (:

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

Re: Any good resources for learning how to draw hands?

#2 Post by YossarianIII »

I recommend avoiding hands, as I do in my avatar. Hands are the devil. :D

In all seriousness, though, you might try The Book of a Hundred Hands by George B. Bridgman. I haven't personally read it, but I can vouch for his other book, Constructive Anatomy, which is one of the classic references for anatomy.

Image Image

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

If you Google "hand tutorials" you'll get a lot of results. Here's this hour long video on how to draw hands though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aH5-J_Jvx4
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

wendybirdx
Regular

#4 Post by wendybirdx »

YossarianIII, good idea! haha
Oh I didn't know Bridgman had a book only on hands! I love the samples so far, it'll probably help tons (: thanks so much!

MaiMai, yeah, I've gone through quite a few. I just don't think they often give a good notion on a) variation and b) the shape of the palm and thumb in perspective. The masses of the palm tend to be overly simplified, and there isn't really a definition of the fingers beyond basic bending. They're pretty good explanations, don't get me wrong, they're just often oversimplified to give a general notion of how the hand works rather than a more realistic rendering of it.
That video seems really detailed! I'm going through it as we speak c: thank you!