Help: Drawing programs for non-graphical tablet

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Noekony
Completed: Cycle
Organization: Sunrise Man
Tumblr: otomego

Help: Drawing programs for non-graphical tablet

#1 Post by Noekony »

Hello. I have a problem. I draw well on a paper(or I think so :D ), but nothing is getting on the tablet, because I just can't find perfect program for it.
I tried Paint Tool SAI, MyPaint, Artweaver, Paint, etc. And all of them had their minuses - at all, they had very uncomfortable interface. And, pls, don't advertise me Photoshop - I'm sick of its unfriendly professional interface.

Though, I doesn't have a graphical tablet.I have ASUS Vivo Tab 8 with stylus from Wacom.

As you've thought, I'm noob at computered painting, so I want to get a program with understandable for dummies and comfortable interface. I hope I'm not asking too much :?
Can you recommend some from your own drawing experience? Please help! I'll be very-very glad!!!
But don't say it's impossible - they said never say never :mrgreen: (or I'm being just an optimist, huh).

If I've abused you with my incorrect writing, sorry - I'm still improving my low-level(for now!) English.

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

Re: Help: Drawing programs for non-graphical tablet

#2 Post by ketskari »

I tried Krita recently, and found its interface fairly straightforward. The last version I had of Corel Painter (X) had an interface designed with traditional painters in mind (there's a mixing palette). That might be worth a look.

Have you gone through tutorials for any of the software you've tried? If not, that might be helpful. Also, how long have you spent learning each of these programs? It might take hours to get over an initial learning curve. The first art software I learned was the GIMP, which has a rather unfriendly interface, but I just kept at it and read tutorials until I got the hang of it.

sherberrie
Regular

#3 Post by sherberrie »

I have Wacom Intuos(also a non-graphical tablet) and I'm doing perfectly fine with Paint Tool Sai now. However, there is no art programs created specifically for non-graphical tablets that I know of. And trust me, if it were any good, I probably would've heard about it by now. Unless I have been living under a rock this whole entire time.

My suggestion is obviously Paint Tool Sai. It's popular for good reasons, and it even has a certain tool that can make your lines smoother(in fact, I use it all the time)! And you should know that just because there's like 47 tools you can use, it doesn't mean you have to use all of them. I can only name about 6 that I use frequently. It's complex and frustrating at first, but a quick Google search and tutorial never hurt anybody. Plus, if a 13 year old can get used to it's interface, then I'm pretty sure anyone can.

Getting used to things takes lots of patience, though. I wish you the best of luck, and have fun drawing! C:

sei.chan

#4 Post by sei.chan »

Personally I think the reason you find them uncomfortable is because you have not gotten use to them. Its fustrating not knowing the program but little by little you will find how to use the buttons and small tricks to make it easier. What I'm trying to say is instead of switching so much grab the program the that you understood the most and continue working on it. Look up tutorials etc. Most people go through the same specially when just beggining some even start with ms paint (I know I did). Hopefully you find a program you like good luck =-D

Noekony

#5 Post by Noekony »

Thanks you all for kind advices! ^-^
I will try to find that one that suits me best, and have an overwhelming hangover with tutorials on it!
P.S. But still, I kind of wish a program that is a crazy mix of MyPaint's big icons&canvas, layers&palette from SAI and brushes from Autodesk... :D

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#6 Post by MaiMai »

What sei.chan said; it sounds like you need to spend a lot more time with the programs in order to get better at digital art. Digital art programs are just a different medium from traditional and like traditional, you need to practice a lot to get used to it and produce work from improving your own skill, not from having a supposedly "good" program.

I think it depends on what look you're going for in your art in general too; do you want to draw purely anime/manga? A painterly rendered style? Cartoonish with thick lines and exaggerated features??
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Noekony

#7 Post by Noekony »

I have poor vision, so mostly I want a program with big icons, like MyPaint. It's the point of all my question, I think. But still, MyPaint doesn't have good canvas settings, so...
All that situation reminds me this cartoon. :)
Attachments
risovach.ru4.jpg

dillodivadus
Regular

~edited~

#8 Post by dillodivadus »

~edited~
Last edited by dillodivadus on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noekony

#9 Post by Noekony »

Thanks everybody! As you've said, practise makes perfect. I've tried SAI and now am quite adapted with it. One problem: my hand is making these weird curves while I draw on a tablet. Mb I should try Flash line arting with vectors? Well, time will show. :)
Sunrise Man member
Love, peace, freedom! ^o^

sei.chan

#10 Post by sei.chan »

Noekony wrote:Thanks everybody! As you've said, practise makes perfect. I've tried SAI and now am quite adapted with it. One problem: my hand is making these weird curves while I draw on a tablet. Mb I should try Flash line arting with vectors? Well, time will show. :)
maybe your using your wrist instead of your arm? Its how you get used to it lol my tablet is always at an angle instead of straight if I change it I cant make straight lines TT.TT