Whats the common format for assets?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
CrazyHussar
Projects: Ever Wished Life
Organization: Mooncaller Studio

Whats the common format for assets?

#1 Post by CrazyHussar »

Sup folks,

Did already find a good illustrator for my project but I don't know what is the common format for the assets like images, animations, sounds. I wan't to improve the technical fit of the VN so there will be "a lot" of animations - not a big deal just simple transitions between character sprites (lifting arms, mouth animation during speech, blinking, etc.). I think right the .jpg, .gif and .mp3 formats will be good?

And whats the VN's ideal default resolution wich the backgrounds and sprites adapts? I wondered to release the game to iOS devices (most likely iPads) but the primary platform is PC (Windows, Mac, Linux, thanks to the Ren'Py engine).

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Whats the common format for assets?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Rather than gif you can use ATL to make an animated PNG sequence.

Usually people use PNG or transparent jpeg. But TBH, PNG can be compressed to pretty decent sizes using certain tools.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#3 Post by YossarianIII »

I have occasionally had issues with .mp3 audio files not playing, but I haven't had any issues with .ogg files. They're a less familiar format for most people, but they're of comparable size/quality to mp3 and (in my experience) work better with Ren'Py. Most audio editing software has the option create them.

Image Image

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

YossarianIII wrote:I have occasionally had issues with .mp3 audio files not playing, but I haven't had any issues with .ogg files. They're a less familiar format for most people, but they're of comparable size/quality to mp3 and (in my experience) work better with Ren'Py. Most audio editing software has the option create them.
Ogg files are also safe to distribute commercially, mp3 files technically require you to buy a license to distribute them with a video game.

wendybirdx
Regular

#5 Post by wendybirdx »

For .jpg, there's usually two issues: 1) transparency and 2) the fact that it's a lossy format, so it might not adapt well to different screens. I'd feel safer with .png.

CrazyHussar
Projects: Ever Wished Life
Organization: Mooncaller Studio

#6 Post by CrazyHussar »

Thanks guys, then .ogg and .png will be our friends. Hope that will our illustrator can make some "movement" with the png's as animation.

What about videos? We planning two of them for each chapter. Guess .mp4 will be fine, right?