Equivalent photoshop tools/terminology

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Post Reply
User avatar
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 559
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Equivalent photoshop tools/terminology

#1 Post by Lesleigh63 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

I'm writing a tutorial for making backgrounds but I use Corel and I was wanting to put the equivalent tools, locations etc in for photoshop users.

If anyone has some time to let me know what the equivalent to the following are it would be appreciated.

Line tool
Appearance - a pencil drawing a line
To draw a straight horizontal (90deg) or a straight vertical (0deg) line, hold down 'control' while drawing the line.

To rotate a line or object
Go to 'Object' drop down menu and select 'rotate'.

To resize an object
Select the object with the 'select' tool (appearance an arrow). Rescale by pulling on the corner node.

Eyedrop tool
Appearance - an eyedropper

Brush tool
Appearance - a paint brush

Fill tool
Appearance - a bucket

Path tool
Appearance - a triangle placing a dot on a line
Function - will trace out a curved path that a brushstroke can follow
Method - Select the path took, choose the bezier button and place the first node where the curve will start and the end node where the curved line will end. This will give 2 nodes connected by a straight line. To curve the line, grab it and pull it into a curve or alternatively click on a node and select the button 'make curve node'. Then either pull on the line or use the 'arms' to push out the curve.
To draw the curve, select the 'brush tool', go to 'object' drop-down menu and select 'brushstroke from path'. This will draw the curve.

Interactive Object Transparency Tool
Appearance - wine glass
Function - to apply a transparency gradient to an object
Method - When used this tool appears as an arrow with a black and white end with a slider in the middle. Moving the slider shifts the 50/50 mark of the dark/light ratio so you can have say a 30/70 ratio gradient. You can see the effect of moving the slider and nodes upon the object and the arrow disappears when you've made your selection and the gradient is then applied to your object.

Set an object layer to multiply
This is a layer merge mode and is found in a drop down menu set above the column showing all your object layers.

Set an object layer to lightness
This layer merge mode uses the 'lightness' value of the source color (source color being on the layer to be set to lightness) and the hue and saturation values of the base color (color from all the layers below the source layer) to create a result color. [It is the opposite to the color merge mode]

Jaggy despeckle
This is found under 'Effects' - 'Blur' - 'Jaggy despeckle'
Function - scatters colors in an image/object creating a soft blurred effect. It is most effective for removing jagged edges that can appear in line-art.

Thanks for your time.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users