Common Background Art / Requests

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Common Background Art / Requests

#1 Post by Steamgirl »

Heyo!

I want to get some background art practice in and was wondering what sort of backgrounds/locations people most commonly need? I'd like to put a background or two up for creative commons use but not sure what people might need. Common settings that come to mind are places like schools but I think there's probably a lot of free school art available already? (Also, it doesn't particularly excite me.) Any other suggestions/requests?

Here's an example of art I've made.

Tediusman
Completed: Akumangel
Projects: Akumangel; The Madhouse Swing
Tumblr: Tediusman
Deviantart: Tediusman

Re: Common Background Art / Requests

#2 Post by Tediusman »

Sweet art! I really love the simplicity of your composition.
Anyway, as an artist struggling with backgrounds, I think urban settings would be appreciated the most because they are difficult to pull off and really time consuming. Cities, roads, alleys are present in a lot of visual novels but I don't think I can remember many of decent quality.
Also I guess house rooms are really needed for slice of life stuff. Standard bedrooms, living rooms.
I think the more anonymous your backgrounds will look, the more appealing they will look to people, but I know that drawing stuff without a personality is boring and uninteresting. Maybe try to find a balance between the two things?
Anyway, great work, keep it up!

Steamgirl
Veteran

#3 Post by Steamgirl »

Thanks for your suggestions, Tediusman! It's true that anonymous is quite hard to do! A French city looks so different to a Spanish one, a Canadian city so different to a Japanese one. I'll have a good think about this one. :)

Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

#4 Post by Impulse »

I know you said you didn't want to do school bg's because they're a little boring (I understand that) and common. But when I started making my VN I realized that it is pretty limited actually. Some things I didn't find, or had a really hard time to find were: A Principal's office, school cafeteria and art room. I did eventually find a really good art room, but the cafeteria and principal's office are still not as good as I'd want them to be.

I also think there's a high demand for traveling bg's, example: On the bus, train, airplane, boat... and so on. I've found a few, but most of them are not very pretty.

Some other things I just think of out of the blue (I don't really know if there are a lot of these ones already, or no). I think a lot of people would find these useful:
- a club, bar, disco.
- shopping mall.
- modern house interior.
- police station, holding cell, interrogation room (for mystery or detective novels).
- movie theater.

I hope this helps a little :)
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

Steamgirl
Veteran

#5 Post by Steamgirl »

I've started doing a generic American city background and need a tie-breaker to decide which direction the light should be in. Help!

Which is best? A, B, or C?

@Impulse
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely interested in doing a principal's office (which could probably double as a general office/study with a few tweaks) and school cafeteria! I guess I was thinking of class rooms and hallways, which I think there are plenty of already. I also love your suggestions for the mystery/detective novel - I'd like to see more of those myself. :)

Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

#6 Post by Impulse »

Steamgirl wrote:
I like A the best. Don't really know why, it just speaks to me ^^

I'm glad you liked my suggestions :)
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#7 Post by King-sama »

Steamgirl wrote:I've started doing a generic American city background and need a tie-breaker to decide which direction the light should be in. Help!

All, if you are going to make different times 8)