Help with Pricing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Seraphae
Projects: Currently OPEN
Organization: Self Employed
Tumblr: Pewun

Help with Pricing?

#1 Post by Seraphae »

Hello fellow artists and whoever else! I have a problem with setting up commissions on this website.

The economy of this forum is way different from what I'm used to, and now I'm at a loss for
prices. I would really really appreciate it if you could go out of your way for me and maybe
help me price some things.

First off are my pixel animations, which look like this.

On my old DA account I charged 5 US for these, but many people
have told me they are worth more.

Also I have these basic drawing styles that I need help pricing.

Any comments would be very much appreciated! I very much want to start working
from this website, but I need to pin down prices first.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Help with Pricing?

#2 Post by MaiMai »

Did you take a look at what other artists are pricing in the recruitment forums? See what they're offering, see how they price them, think about what you want/are able to offer and whether you're able to stay on a VN project in the long term.

I will say that 5 USD is way too cheap though.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#3 Post by curry nochi rice »

MaiMai wrote:Did you take a look at what other artists are pricing in the recruitment forums? See what they're offering, see how they price them, think about what you want/are able to offer and whether you're able to stay on a VN project in the long term.

I will say that 5 USD is way too cheap though.
Don't worry, got it covered right here. Scroll down to see averages and medians.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

E-l337
Regular

#4 Post by E-l337 »

Here's the real question, I think:

What is your time worth to you?

Five dollars for an image is extremely cheap. However, if it only takes you twenty minutes? That means you can make three images, and that becomes fifteen dollars an hour. This is a respectable sum.

Since these are full-color images though, I expect that they may take you considerably more time than twenty minutes. A lot of artists price based on the following criteria:

- The average time it takes them to create a given piece (sketch, inked, bust only, full color, etc all vary accordingly).
- The amount of work they have on their plate (for those overhwelmed with work currently, they may charge higher prices to compensate putting off other work, while those in a lean period might price lower to attract more work).
- The amount of time they've been creating art.

Given that your pixel animations are pretty limited (two frames), and that they aren't too detailed, I can say they definitely wouldn't be expensive... but animation does still take time, even if it's two frames. Ten dollars sounds more about right, but your mileage may vary there.

So once again, the question you should be asking yourself is: What is your time worth to you? Start with that, and work from there.