How do these 3d Models look for a visual novel?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: How do these 3d Models look for a visual novel?

#16 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I like the white model from your first post the best.

Sometimes I think what makes something look uncanny valley is they come out looking 'too' perfect, with no mistakes whereas something 2d painted will probably have some errors in it no matter how good the artist might be. That could be errors in shadow casting or slight variations in colouring for things that should be the same colour or hue. We may not notice these slight aberations when we look at a painting but our brain gives us a nudge when something is completely computer rendered and these slight imperfections are no longer there.

Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

#17 Post by Vegeluxia »

Maybe it's because I'm just a sucker for different looking styles, but those newer models (twin tails) are definitely my favorite by a long shot. The older ones wig me out a little. Something in the faces looks kind of...stiff? And I'm not digging the more realistic hair. I very much prefer the cartoonier look. It looks a lot more like something I'd want to see in a game.

Not 100% sure, as I haven't personally worked with 3D recently, but maybe applying some kind of sharpening filter, as well as an outline in Photoshop? That might help some? An actual outline on the model itself would probably look better though, if it even worked at all.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#18 Post by YonYonYon »

I like the stylized look of the new models, especially their hair. The realistic hair that doesn't behave like real hair makes the models look cheap. That's the reason why realistically behaving hair in The Incredibles was considered so revolutionary. And why companies like to brag about 100500k hair cuticles on their models.

But I don't like the new models' faces tho. They are indeed a bit creepy. I think it would be great if you left the bodies and hair as they are and tone down the anime on their faces
ImageImage