Sprite angles

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
foofox

Sprite angles

#1 Post by foofox »

Hi, all, I'm working on my first visual novel and I started by assuming that I should show the main character and the other characters facing each other in the game, so showing the characters side-on, facing each other.

The other option, which seems more popular, is to have the characters face you, the player, and not have any art of the main character at all. I've been told this second option is the best option because that way the player can take on more of the "role" of the main character.

I didn't really intend my main character to be a perfectly blank slate. I wanted them more to be someone the player could role play, as a part of the game, so I guess this is why showing the main character appeals to me. Maybe there's a third option where I show the main character as well, but from the front as well, as though the "camera" is cutting from one angle to the next. Seems a bit choppy though.

Which is the better approach? Has anyone seen visual novels done on one or the other way?

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

Re: Sprite angles

#2 Post by 78909087 »

Hello! I wonder if you know about side images?

Here's a screenshot of my current project to show you what I mean.

In this way, the character you play as will 'appear' at the side when they speak.

I think this is something you should look into. The relevant information is found here.
I am not friends with the sun.

foofox

#3 Post by foofox »

Yes, that does make sense.

Are these little side images only relevant for the main character or do you do them for the other characters as well?
I did think about them at first but it just seemed odd to have the character you are talking to in the main image and down the bottom too.

Perhaps I am being ambitious, but I am asking the artist to draw every expression as a pose, because I like the idea of expressive characters :)

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

#4 Post by 78909087 »

In my personal use, I only put side images for characters who can't be seen on screen. Things like phone conversations, or 'talking from another room', for example. It's a way of showing expression and ownership without having the Sprite in front of the character.

Think about it, maybe experiment, and then find your own style.
I am not friends with the sun.

foofox

#5 Post by foofox »

Thank you, I will try!

Perihelion
Regular
Projects: The Devil's Broker

#6 Post by Perihelion »

I actually really prefer having the protagonist have a portrait on-screen if they're not a player self-insert. Fault has sold well and uses this approach:

I'm also doing it in my own game (here is an example if you want to see).