Pen on drawing Tablet doesn't write smooth <SOLVED>

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

Pen on drawing Tablet doesn't write smooth <SOLVED>

#1 Post by Catlip Candy »

I'm sorry, I don't know where to post technology stuff, so I'll just post it here..

So I bought a Genius drawing tablet, (Easy Pen i405X) from Lazada. And now that I'm trying it with Paint Tool Sai, I have troubles with the sketch part. The lines are not smooth when I draw a straight line or a curve. It's just jagged and scribbled crap >____< I've played with the settings and still nothing. Is it normal? Or is there something wrong with this drawing tablet?

Some features:
-2560 LPI
-1024 Pressure Levels
- 4" x 5.5"

EDITED

Editing in case someone bought the same tablet and has the same problem, too.

So before, when drawing, the line wasn't smooth, here's how it was with this picture here:

But now, it has become a bit better:

My pen's pressure setting is set to Soft. The only thing I forgot to set is the settings in Paint Tool Sai.

On the upper part of the screen, there's this Smoothing (or Stabilizer). Click it and scroll down, you'll see a "S-6". Set it to S-6. Then check the Advanced box, and check the two boxes on the Pressure part of the Advanced Setting (the Density and Size boxes).

It should be working smoothly now *^*)9 GAAAWD I thought there was no hope with this tablet and another moniez wasted >___> But is working great now, man it's good to be alive *_*
Last edited by Catlip Candy on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Re: Is it normal for a drawing tablet to be like this?

#2 Post by mitoky »

When drawing, is it pressure sensitive? Does it work fine in other programms? Do you mind "drawing" a straight line and show what it looks like then?

Perhaps installing the driver/updating it might help. >.<

Catlip Candy
Regular

#3 Post by Catlip Candy »

Itozuuu wrote:When drawing, is it pressure sensitive? Does it work fine in other programms? Do you mind "drawing" a straight line and show what it looks like then?

Hi~ There's some basic settings for the pen. From Soft to Heavy, I put it to Soft because when it's in Heavy, or something in between, there's barely like, ink appearing (>_____< I dunno how to explain it >.>) Like... . . . the pen doesn't draw D: So I set it to Soft and it draws just fine, but not smooth enough.

When I write digitally, too, it looked like a kid's scribble.

I only have Paint Tool SAI, but there's the original Paint in my Windows and it's the same case for it too u.u
Attachments
The lines in this one is not smooth, as I try to make an anime face u.u
The lines in this one is not smooth, as I try to make an anime face u.u
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!

mitoky
Veteran

#4 Post by mitoky »

Fake Existence wrote:
Itozuuu wrote:When drawing, is it pressure sensitive? Does it work fine in other programms? Do you mind "drawing" a straight line and show what it looks like then?

Hi~ There's some basic settings for the pen. From Soft to Heavy, I put it to Soft because when it's in Heavy, or something in between, there's barely like, ink appearing (>_____< I dunno how to explain it >.>) Like... . . . the pen doesn't draw D: So I set it to Soft and it draws just fine, but not smooth enough.

I only have Paint Tool SAI, but there's the original Paint in my Windows and it's the same case for it too u.u
Hmmm from the looks of the screenshot there seems to be no pressure sensitivity which is usually a sign there is a problem with the driver.
I would recommend to deinstall the driver and then reinstall it with the recent version of the driver. It should be avaible on the offical website.
Try it first and we will see afterwards what we could still do in case it doesn't works! (:

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#5 Post by sendo »

Man I remember that tablet (it was my first drawing tablet :P). I can see the driver is installed but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support Windows 10 according to the official product page.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

mitoky
Veteran

#6 Post by mitoky »

sendo wrote:Man I remember that tablet (it was my first drawing tablet :P). I can see the driver is installed but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support Windows 10 according to the official product page.
A friend of mine actually know someone who uses it on win10. He said that it should work when used the most recent driver from online. It could be worth a try. ;w;

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#7 Post by nyaatrap »

The first thing to try fixing tablet errors is reboot.
If it won't fix it then; uninstall, reboot OS, re-install, then reboot again (sometimes they require rebooting two times :|)

BTW, did you try other applications, like krita or firealpaca with this tablet?

Catlip Candy
Regular

#8 Post by Catlip Candy »

Itozuuu wrote:
Fake Existence wrote:

Hmmm from the looks of the screenshot there seems to be no pressure sensitivity which is usually a sign there is a problem with the driver.
I would recommend to deinstall the driver and then reinstall it with the recent version of the driver. It should be avaible on the offical website.
Try it first and we will see afterwards what we could still do in case it doesn't works! (:

Hello~ I reinstalled it but it stayed the same u.u But right now I already fixed it X3 and will be editing this post for some who had the same problem >___< Thanks for your replies!~

Catlip Candy
Regular

#9 Post by Catlip Candy »

sendo wrote:Man I remember that tablet (it was my first drawing tablet :P). I can see the driver is installed but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to support Windows 10 according to the official product page.

It's my first drawing tablet too, and the only one I could afford x) I saw on the reviews that it's really good despite being cheap and that it works with Windows 10, that's why I risked it. I had a minor problem, but now it's already fixed. Thanks for your reply~ ^O^)/

Catlip Candy
Regular

#10 Post by Catlip Candy »

nyaatrap wrote:The first thing to try fixing tablet errors is reboot.
If it won't fix it then; uninstall, reboot OS, re-install, then reboot again (sometimes they require rebooting two times :|)

BTW, did you try other applications, like krita or firealpaca with this tablet?

Hi~ I only have Paint Tool Sai and this already-installed Paint in my Windows. Those other apps look cool tho, they're worth checking out! I have fixed the minor problem now~ Thanks for your reply~

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#11 Post by sendo »

Itozuuu wrote: A friend of mine actually know someone who uses it on win10. He said that it should work when used the most recent driver from online. It could be worth a try. ;w;
Ah, thanks for correcting! The official website should really reflect that, it's such a good product and it's misleading to people who might be interested in it.
Fake Existence wrote:It's my first drawing tablet too, and the only one I could afford x) I saw on the reviews that it's really good despite being cheap and that it works with Windows 10, that's why I risked it. I had a minor problem, but now it's already fixed. Thanks for your reply~ ^O^)/
I'm glad it's fixed! I must say that you've made a worthwhile purchase. And yeah despite the cheap price I can personally vouch for the quality. I've used it for around 1.5 years and had no real issues with it (still works like a charm to this day). Have fun drawing with it :3
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#12 Post by Katy133 »

In Paint Tool Sai, you'll need to adjust the Paint Tool Stabiliser Setting in order to make it easier to draw smooth lines. Here is a tutorial to do that.

ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Catlip Candy
Regular

#13 Post by Catlip Candy »

Katy133 wrote:In Paint Tool Sai, you'll need to adjust the Paint Tool Stabiliser Setting in order to make it easier to draw smooth lines. Here is a tutorial to do that.

Thanks for sharing link and pointing the stabilizer out! >~< I was scared I thought it might not work correctly anymore T~T

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Pen on drawing Tablet doesn't write smooth <SOLVED>

#14 Post by nyaatrap »

SAI's smoothing also changes line width. Less than 3 breaks it's algorithm, so you should keep up more than 3.
It's also depending on brush size. If brush size is huge, then you should raise stabilizer to make brush width correctly adjusted.

However, I personally don't like over S-2 because those lines are too mechanically adjusted. I have used s-1 for drawing and 3 for painting.

Catlip Candy
Regular

Re: Pen on drawing Tablet doesn't write smooth <SOLVED>

#15 Post by Catlip Candy »

nyaatrap wrote:SAI's smoothing also changes line width. Less than 3 breaks it's algorithm, so you should keep up more than 3.
It's also depending on brush size. If brush size is huge, then you should raise stabilizer to make brush width correctly adjusted.

However, I personally don't like over S-2 because those lines are too mechanically adjusted. I have used s-1 for drawing and 3 for painting.

Noted!~ Thank you very much for the advice~