Offering criticism! (CLOSED, thank you!)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

Re: Offering criticism!

#16 Post by truefaiterman »

Daaaaaaaamn I spent too much time out of here ;O; I've been working on a pretty big illustration, and your advice could have helped with it.

Thanks a lot! You're right in everything you said, and the way you explained to me makes me see how to improve it and what to learn, I definetely have work to do. In my next big painting I'll make sure to take care with both the backgrounds and the skin tones!!

(I won't upload my lastest painting here because, even if the DeviantArt version is censored, is kind of NSFW anyways).

Thanks again, I'll do my best! :D
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Velvet Breath

#17 Post by Velvet Breath »

Hello! I would like your opinion on my art/style :D

Here's one of my recent digital drawing. It's the only one I have now because my laptop was formatted and I didn't save it in time. Usually I just do traditional art.
a recent drawing (only one antler hair clip was intentional)
a recent drawing (only one antler hair clip was intentional)
(I like drawing people who look boyish and girlish at the same time? Idk too.)

What do you think? From colors, drawing style, complexion, anatomy, details, attractiveness, details, how can I improve? Do you find it nice? Boring? Or just generally bad?

From what I know, many friends of mine I know in real life dislike my drawings, which really demotivated me because drawing is one of the only thing I really like to do OTL Plus, I'm interested in making short VNs by myself, so I would also like a piece of your mind if the art is suitable/presentable if done in sprite form?

Thank you for looking through my post! :)

xKuroshiro

#18 Post by xKuroshiro »

Need critique and how should I price my art? :)

Sorry I'm not good at English
Attachments
REALIZE1.jpg
girguy1.jpg

lovebby
Regular
Deviantart: lovebby

#19 Post by lovebby »

Ohhh goodness I'd love some critque, as much and as tough as you see fit! *U*!!
http://lovebby.deviantart.com/ I haven't been drawing much lately and I know a little puch like a critque can help pop me back into drawing! q uq!!

And I also get that shyness about my artwork too! It gets on my nerves on why I can't ignore it but it's there haha.

Sayuui
Regular
Completed: Refraction, I want to fly
Projects: Seraphim, Lucid Dreamer
IRC Nick: Sayuui
Tumblr: Sayuui

#20 Post by Sayuui »

truefaiterman wrote:Daaaaaaaamn I spent too much time out of here ;O; I've been working on a pretty big illustration, and your advice could have helped with it.

Thanks a lot! You're right in everything you said, and the way you explained to me makes me see how to improve it and what to learn, I definetely have work to do. In my next big painting I'll make sure to take care with both the backgrounds and the skin tones!!

(I won't upload my lastest painting here because, even if the DeviantArt version is censored, is kind of NSFW anyways).

Thanks again, I'll do my best! :D
You're welcome, and keep practicing! <3333

Velvet Breath wrote:Hello! I would like your opinion on my art/style :D

Here's one of my recent digital drawing. It's the only one I have now because my laptop was formatted and I didn't save it in time. Usually I just do traditional art.
deerboypp2.png
(I like drawing people who look boyish and girlish at the same time? Idk too.)

What do you think? From colors, drawing style, complexion, anatomy, details, attractiveness, details, how can I improve? Do you find it nice? Boring? Or just generally bad?

From what I know, many friends of mine I know in real life dislike my drawings, which really demotivated me because drawing is one of the only thing I really like to do OTL Plus, I'm interested in making short VNs by myself, so I would also like a piece of your mind if the art is suitable/presentable if done in sprite form?

Thank you for looking through my post! :)
Of course you do have potential! Don't let anyone say other than that. And besides, you don't have to please them! As long as you please yourself, it's fine. Besides, if you like your work, anyone else will like it! It's an energy trait!

It's pretty common for people to be afraid of shading when going directly from traditional art to digital art! This was my first digital art piece: http://sayuui.deviantart.com/art/Christ ... -417518645 and this was one of my most recent ones: http://fav.me/daex6ai
Quite different, no?
I don't see any great anatomy mistakes on your drawing since it’s a bust-up, but I would like to take a look at more of your works if you permit me. ^^
From what I see in this drawing, you were pretty afraid to shade and didn't use a lot of color tones. The shading is pretty shallow, as many other people I advised on this thread.
The advice I'm going to give you is basically the one I gave to purrsephonekitten (except for the fact that your line work is in a good contrast with the overall picture) and SinaAzad so you will probably want to go back to the first thread page and see what I answered them, which is basically:
- Use color palletes until you can pick colors digitally by your own;
-create your own palletes;
-sometimes convert your drawing to grayscale and see how much you have to deepen;
-challenge yourself!
Also. something that you all should know: when you draw a very very thin line, you have to compensate with a very detailed coloring. That's how digital art differs from traditional art.
That's all, I hope I made some difference!
xKuroshiro wrote:Need critique and how should I price my art?

Sorry I'm not good at English
Oh. I’ll try to make it simple, then. ^^
FirstIy, I think you need to improve your anatomy. My advice is: study anatomy. I advise you to study realistic anatomy first, then study anime anatomy. Why is that? Because when you study realistic anatomy, your anime anatomy becomes SO MUCH BETTER. Take your time, especially if you’re a self-learner, and don’t overwork yourself. I should be studying realistic anatomy. I don’t know why I haven’t done that yet. Take a look at my tutorial compilation, It’s a good place to start! https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao4qLLCk2VwLgU-0nZNGzw7aRwNa
I’m not sure as well of the ages of the characters just by looking at them, and that’s definitely something to think about. And I think their shoulders are timidly drawn. I don’t see any major problems with your coloring. Besides, your coloring process improves as you evolve as an artist. If you’re worried about your coloring process as well, you should take a look at what I’ve answered to other artists on this thread. Also, take a look at the list of tutorials
This problem does not retain you from being hired in these forums, though. On the contrary, many people are not looking for extraordinary artists.
As for the prices, my advice is: do not underprice yourself. It’s disrespectful to all your surrounding artists, and think of it: is your price really worth the effort you’ve done to this day? Price your work the way you think it should be priced. I hope I helped! ^^
lovebby wrote: Ohhh goodness I'd love some critque, as much and as tough as you see fit! *U*!!
http://lovebby.deviantart.com/ I haven't been drawing much lately and I know a little puch like a critque can help pop me back into drawing! q uq!!

And I also get that shyness about my artwork too! It gets on my nerves on why I can't ignore it but it's there haha.
I have no idea of how to critique you ‘ – ‘ I love your work, and I think you have a great notion of color and shading! What I have seen, though, is that in some drawings, the sex of the characters is not very distinguishable. This one, which is a sailor moon oc, has too many masculine anatomy elements. http://lovebby.deviantart.com/art/pink- ... -596022060 Though I noticed that it happens with a very limited amount in your art pieces.
I haven’t seen any backgrounds on your work, though. Do you work with perspective? If not, that’s something you could look for. But you should totally work on comics and work on them often, you have a lot of potential!
Freelance anime artist. Find me on
Recruitment thread
Twitter
Art portfolio
Instagram
Business inquiries: sayuuiart@gmail.com

xKuroshiro

Re: Offering criticism! (CLOSED, thank you!)

#21 Post by xKuroshiro »

Thank you for your advice :D