commission prices for these artists...

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
jikkibot
Projects: "Love, Zazie"

commission prices for these artists...

#1 Post by jikkibot »

I've tried contacting the following list of artists, asking for their commission prices... but no luck (no replies).
I've also tried reading through their profile notes and journals, but the few who have commission prices are years out of date.
Does anyone here know what these guys would charge for the following (below)?

Complex/Render colour sprite (for a commercial VN created for profit):
bust = $?
full = $?
extra expressions = $?
clothing change = $?
hair change = $?
CG scene = $?

http://guweiz.deviantart.com/
http://wlop.deviantart.com/
http://kuvshinov-ilya.deviantart.com/
http://artgerm.deviantart.com/
http://cushart.deviantart.com/
http://ippus.deviantart.com/
http://sakimichan.deviantart.com/
http://tahra.deviantart.com/

Are any of the LSF members here one of the Deviant Artists I listed..?
I think I'll go looking through Board index » Creator's Corner » Recruitment & Services Offered » I am an Artist

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: commission prices for these artists...

#2 Post by Rinima »

I've taken a look though the lists and hate to say it, but I don't think any of them are open to commissions, and if they are, they'll be extremely expensive. The large majority of them are working on their own (fairly big) projects and generally won't have time for commissions.

As a general rule of thumb, if I find a artist who either
- doesn't have a commission posts somewhere
- does have one but it's years out of date

then the chances are, they are closed for commissions.
Also, you won't find any of those artists here, they are very well know artists who generally keep to places like DA and twitter.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

jikkibot

#3 Post by jikkibot »

hey thanks Rinima.
Yeah, you're probably right.
What do you think it would cost to have artists or their caliber produce full length sprites for a VN? 10x more than the average cost of LSF artists (which seems around USD$40 per full length sprite)? I don't mind speculation. What do you think?
And would you know if there's anyone here on LSF of that sort of caliber (like in my previous list)?
Thanks again.

jikkibot

#4 Post by jikkibot »

oh hey, our profile pics are both bunnies!

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#5 Post by Katta »

I'd say more than 500$ + a portrait price for each expression

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Rinima wrote:I've taken a look though the lists and hate to say it, but I don't think any of them are open to commissions, and if they are, they'll be extremely expensive. The large majority of them are working on their own (fairly big) projects and generally won't have time for commissions.
Sadly I'll have to second Rinima on this. Most them aren't taking commissions, and I know of the few who do, they reserve slots for their highest Patreon supporters, and still charge quite a bit on top of that. And most won't do more than a single commission piece for each supporter in any given block of time - like once or twice per year. Most are working on their own projects, like comics or artbooks, and are dedicated to work for their Patreon supporters.

And Katta's right - that group of artists are going to charge some pretty high rates for artwork that is going into a game. You could blow through your artwork budget and then some really quickly if they did agree.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

You are talking about some of the most popular artists on the site, so their prices will be into the hundreds for a single piece, if they have time for it at least. One of them, Ippus, does have commissions open but only for chibis, not anything else.

In general, it would be a bad idea to hire them for games unless you got a massive inheritance to spend on your art budget. There are far less popular artists who can approach them in quality for significantly less money. The popularity effect does massively increase what they can charge. More power to them I say, but you probably can't afford it.

jikkibot

#9 Post by jikkibot »

SundownKid wrote:... There are far less popular artists who can approach them in quality for significantly less ...
That's great to hear. Could you please list some artists, at least in your opinion, who are high quality low cost?
Thanks so much

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#10 Post by morinoir »

ummm... what do you consider 'high quality' and 'low cost'? If you could show us your price range and art example you want, I might be able to help you since I visit DA regularly.

jikkibot

#11 Post by jikkibot »

morinoir wrote:ummm... what do you consider 'high quality' and 'low cost'? If you could show us your price range and art example you want, I might be able to help you since I visit DA regularly.
WOW, forget the other artists, I really like YOUR work.
What do you charge in regards to list (above)?
Do you take commercial VN work..?

NialGrenville
Regular
Projects: PaS: The Awakening; The Heart Woods; The Witch and the Fairy
Organization: Gabe Works, Inc.

#12 Post by NialGrenville »

I am laughing beyond my body's limit. I feel as if I am going to explode! You, my friend, are what I call a business boomer. You set a goal, and if your goal isn't met. You will find a way to meet it. However, you're probably the funniest instance I've ever seen. I'll keep you on my list of: "once in a lifetime" stuff.

Back on topic, art is expensive. ESPECIALLY if we are talking that caliber of an artist. Even less skilled artists are costly. I am sure Mr./Mrs./Miss morinoir will be costly. (Of course I may be wrong, but why not kindly assume?) Remember the triangle of freelancing kids! Quality>Time>Price (you can only pick 2)

So yes as morinoir said, budget listings would help! People need to know the dough, ya know?
*Me*, *You, ***Calamazoo: *Singularity-A.I.*: *Proceed to processing
PaS: The Awakening, current status: 42%
The HeartWoods, current status: 0%
The Wonderful Mell! My PFI creator Honest Critique

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#13 Post by SexBomb »

Jikkibot, have you tried scouring the recruitment threads? There are tons of skilled artists here on Lemmasoft, but if you don't feel like pouring through pages and pages of artists, you can always post a thread in the "Paid Work" forum. Just be sure to include your project details, budget, and maybe some samples of the style of work you're seeking. You might not find exactly what you're looking for, but you never know what kind of art might cross your path. Who knows, you might fall in love with something completely unexpected!

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#14 Post by morinoir »

jikkibot wrote:WOW, forget the other artists, I really like YOUR work.
What do you charge in regards to list (above)?
Do you take commercial VN work..?
NialGrenville wrote:Back on topic, art is expensive. ESPECIALLY if we are talking that caliber of an artist. Even less skilled artists are costly. I am sure Mr./Mrs./Miss morinoir will be costly. (Of course I may be wrong, but why not kindly assume?) Remember the triangle of freelancing kids! Quality>Time>Price (you can only pick 2)
ahaha I really didn't expect this turn of event XD
But since you asked, yes I do accept both personal and commercial work. However for commecial work, I can't list my fixed price since it really depends on what you want. If you're interested, you can always PM me anytime and we can discuss this matter privately =)

Btw, we're actually a team of husband and wife and we're both artist, but the one who usually online and talk to people is me (the wife). Nice to meet you all!

And I agree with Sexbomb, you might want to consider post your project on 'Paid Work' forum. People who's looking for work will surely check it ^^