Trouble with editing rendered images.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
helcries

Trouble with editing rendered images.

#1 Post by helcries »

Hello all, I have been working pretty hard to get an understanding of Art, paint, GIMP, and other programs to make my images I am creating for a game I am working on look as good as possible.

So I am hoping that some of you can give me some advice, if you have more experience, or point out things I am doing wrong (Have little to no experience with art in any way shape or form, I am a computer network tech, and a former soldier that specialized in Network administration.)

Also I have had a few people ask about the style I am using in my game, so I wanted to post a few images here while also hoping for some help. ))) I know that I am not very good at this yet, so feel free to be as brutally honest as possible, I need to get better.

(I am using 3Delight in Daz3d) Have little to NO experience with lights in the system (Just can't get them to work for some reason), I know NOTHING about weight maps.

As a final note I need to keep the Alpha layer so the image doesn't lose any integrity, but the only program I have that I know how to quickly edit the size of an image with is Paint. (I use GIMP to edit out back grounds to get my Alpha layer back, but honestly it looks really bad when I do this, so I was hoping someone might have some advice on how to avoid editing the image, or at least a program / way to do it in GIMP that isn't to difficult or complex.
Attachments
c_answer_door.png
Eclipse.jpg
new neighbor.png
mpc_angry.png
m_strip1.png
m_swimsuit_pose.png
lusty_goth.png
fpc_normal.png

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Trouble with editing rendered images.

#2 Post by fleet »

When I use 2D backgrounds for visual novels, I'd make the scene using the 2D background as the backdrop in DAZ and then, still in DAZ, add the character sprite and then render it. That way you don't have to worry about resizing the sprites in GIMP or messing with Alpha channels.
The disadvantage of doing things this way is that you have to render a lot of images in DAZ.

Here's an example showing what I mean.

Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

justcolorado
Regular
Completed: Experiment Gone Rogue, Caravan Of Saints, HeartBaked, Hipster Axe
Projects: Iragon
Organization: Repulse.com
Github: coloradostark

#3 Post by justcolorado »

I attached 2 quick stylized versions of what you uploaded that I made using a free program called fotosketcher which takes photos and lets you play with settings to make them look like hand drawn art work. Photoshop is really the best program for that type of stuff. But fotosketcher is free. The challenge with 3d renders is to avoid uncanny valley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Stylized proportions and/or art that looks hand drawn move you away from uncanny valley. The visual novel community has very little 3d rendered models as content. A lot of visual novel artists do use 3d to get the outlines. Model in 3d but then just draw over it.
Attachments
m_swimsuit_pose_FotoSketcher.jpg
mpc_angry_FotoSketcher.jpg

justcolorado
Regular

#4 Post by justcolorado »

This was the best I could get up til now with a 3d render and then a filter on the final render. It beats most bad artists. But it still doesn't even come close to a good artist using something like clip studio paint.

Here are examples of what I consider to be good artists.
http://zeiva.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://shilin.deviantart.com/gallery/

IMHO there really is no comparison, a good artist can do literally 10x better.:
For those reasons I am not using any 3d in my current project.
Attachments
9-Filtered.png

justcolorado
Regular

#5 Post by justcolorado »

fleet wrote:When I use 2D backgrounds for visual novels, I'd make the scene using the 2D background as the backdrop in DAZ and then, still in DAZ, add the character sprite and then render it. That way you don't have to worry about resizing the sprites in GIMP or messing with Alpha channels.
The disadvantage of doing things this way is that you have to render a lot of images in DAZ.

Here's an example showing what I mean.

Really good suggestion, I do the same