Drawing a Menu Screen? How do you do it?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Lord Dragon
Regular
Projects: Trappy
Tumblr: lorddragonshenanigans

Drawing a Menu Screen? How do you do it?

#1 Post by Lord Dragon »

Honestly I don't know wear to start, how do I place all the characters, would they all be interacting or will they just stand there and look pretty?

Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

Re: Drawing a Menu Screen? How do you do it?

#2 Post by Vegeluxia »

I read this in a book once about drawing character based manga covers, and I think it could very well apply to anything:
I like to play with the themes of my book, placing my characters in an environment similar to what they experience in the story---but more elaborate, more dangerous, and more glamorous,

I know some people really like the "go big or go home" type of game menu screens, but I honestly haven't seen very many of those. Every example I can think off of the top of my head is either a piece of scenery, or a more minimalistic piece---and I think it works well.

Maybe try looking at game menu's that already exist? Figure out what it is you like about them, and try to pull inspiration from that?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#3 Post by Mammon »

I was very lazy and made black silhouettes of some of my characters and added them in, to be replaced with 'memory shards' that were essentially the CG in shard shape. It's much easier than making new art from scratch just for the main menu, but I let you be the judge of how lazy an approach that is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k11k3jpw65xe9 ... n.png?dl=0
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#4 Post by YonYonYon »

Good news, you don't have to put your characters on the main menu if you don't wanna.

The main menu is the first thing players see, so its looks will depend on what message you want to send right away. You might want to show the atmosphere of the game and put some atmospheric imagery in there, play with the themes of the game and use symbols, or make a designer main menu. Possibilities are many.

Even if you want to show characters, you can apply the same thing here. What's the atmosphere? What's the theme of the game? Are there any symbols? What about overall design?

Also, don't forget the game logo
ImageImage

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I'm a fan of the "characters striking an epic pose" menu. But it really depends on the genre, tbh. Like for a horror game it could just be a creepy scenery or something.

Lord Dragon
Regular
Projects: Trappy
Tumblr: lorddragonshenanigans

#6 Post by Lord Dragon »

Vegeluxia wrote:I read this in a book once about drawing character based manga covers, and I think it could very well apply to anything:
I like to play with the themes of my book, placing my characters in an environment similar to what they experience in the story---but more elaborate, more dangerous, and more glamorous,
SundownKid wrote:I'm a fan of the "characters striking an epic pose" menu. But it really depends on the genre, tbh. Like for a horror game it could just be a creepy scenery or something.

I know some people really like the "go big or go home" type of game menu screens---[/quote]

Yep, I'm a fan of using characters too, I guess 'go big or go home' is the general consensus with those
Vegeluxia wrote:but I honestly haven't seen very many of those. Every example I can think off of the top of my head is either a piece of scenery, or a more minimalistic piece---and I think it works well.

Maybe try looking at game menu's that already exist? Figure out what it is you like about them, and try to pull inspiration from that?
I'm pretty bad at Backgrounds (so I'm commissioning all of mine), so it never really crossed my mind to use a scenery.

YonYonYon wrote:Also, don't forget the game logo
Honestly that sounds like something I'd forget, Thank you n w n