Looking for specific functions in art software

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
mard
Regular

Looking for specific functions in art software

#1 Post by mard »

As the title says, I'm looking for an art software that provides some very specific functions, most notably extreme ease in rotating the canvas while drawing. When I'm drawing in sketchbooks and the like, I am constantly rotating the page, in order to get the best angle for each line.

I'm having an extreme amount of difficulty drawing anything actually presentable with digital drawing however. The lines are always off angle, and badly proportioned to the rest of the picture, due to me not being able to do the rotations of the canvas.

One thing to note however, is that if it is a Windows program that can't be run effectively in WINE, I won't use it. Any program that requires me to install Windows in order to actually use, I won't use, nor will I use any program published by Microsoft. That is one thing I will never fold on, no matter the circumstances.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Looking for specific functions in art software

#2 Post by indoneko »

Have you tried paintool SAI ?
you can use the "Delete" and "End" key to rotate the canvas (you can change it if you want).
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#3 Post by morinoir »

Paint tool sai and photoshop (cs5 and up to be save) can do it. I think clip studio paint can do it too

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#4 Post by SexBomb »

As indoneko and morinior mention, Paint Tool SAI has an easy-to-use rotation tool... I use it almost every time I'm drawing. You can also rotate the canvas in most versions of Photoshop, though I don't find it to be as easy or convenient (or maybe I just keep forgetting the hotkeys). SAI is definitely my program of choice.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#5 Post by morinoir »

SexBomb wrote:As indoneko and morinior mention, Paint Tool SAI has an easy-to-use rotation tool... I use it almost every time I'm drawing. You can also rotate the canvas in most versions of Photoshop, though I don't find it to be as easy or convenient (or maybe I just keep forgetting the hotkeys). SAI is definitely my program of choice.
I think the default hoykey for rotation tool in Photoshop is 'R', and press 'C' (for crop tool) to go back to normal view. But that's for CS6 and CC, I don't know if other version of photoshop can do it.