are there any tutorials for learning to draw characters?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
sasha2cool

are there any tutorials for learning to draw characters?

#1 Post by sasha2cool »

hello i love to draw but im not a very good digital artist, lately my character drawings come out tilted.
are there any tutorials on how to draw visual novel characters better?

i know i didnt explain this very well, i guess all i can do is try harder

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: are there any tutorials for learning to draw characters?

#2 Post by indoneko »

To prevent tilted image, flip your canvas as often when you're drawing.

Btw, what's the main difference between how to draw VN characters and how to draw manga/anime characters?
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

sasha2cool

#3 Post by sasha2cool »

indoneko wrote:To prevent tilted image, flip your canvas as often when you're drawing.

Btw, what's the main difference between how to draw VN characters and how to draw manga/anime characters?
um.... have no clue... i dont even know how to draw a manga/anime character or at least not very well

thank you by the way

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

I think that looking this up on YouTube will be a lot faster than asking it around here. You'll get some advice and good links, but with YouTube and other big sites everything you want is just a few clicks away.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Drew
Regular
Projects: SW-SEG
Tumblr: makefox
Deviantart: makefox

#5 Post by Drew »

sasha2cool wrote:lately my character drawings come out tilted.
are there any tutorials on how to draw visual novel characters better?
If you're drawing digitally mark out a grid in a lower layer and draw against it, then you have a frame of reference to stop the characters leaning over, if that's what you mean by 'tilted'.

If you mark the grid out against key levels on the body then it can help with proportions and serve as a reference when drawing different sized characters.

You can do the same on paper, if it's just for practice then it doesn't matter if the grid shows through.

I'd agree with Indoneko, mirroring/flipping an image back and forth when working on it will always reveal a multitude of sins, it's definitely good a practice. When working on paper do the same by using a mirror or holding the paper up to the light and looking from the back (if it's thin enough).

If you're looking for basic anatomy practice I'd recommend:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV/videos
He seems to be doing a lot of caricature stuff currently, but his older videos cover some good ground on the basics.
sasha2cool wrote:i know i didnt explain this very well, i guess all i can do is try harder
True, it can be difficult to see a way forward when starting out.

Though probably more important than just trying harder is trying 'faster'. If you find big things early in a drawing are throwing your work out just practice a lot quickly up to that stage. Once you have that down you can go back to trying to develop more finished images.

Hope that helps.
Peace!

My art blog: http://makefox.tumblr.com/

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#6 Post by xavimat »

There are two sticky threads with lots and lots of answers to that question ("sticky" means that there are always the first threads visible in the subforum).
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14980#p195266
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24440

Good work!
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#7 Post by Fuseblower »

Ah, yes, the dreaded tilt. It's because your vertical is somewhat tilted while your horizontals are really horizontal. It gives a "skewed look" and is not really obvious unless you flip it as Indoneko wrote. If you draw on paper then just hold it against the light backwards so you see your drawing through the paper.

This tilting happens a lot (even with good artists) and it destroys depth and perspective. On paper I like to put down a couple of verticals as guidelines. In a drawing program you can just use the grid, as mentioned.

As for tutorials, I'd recommend Mark Crilley. It's really good stuff for beginners and his videos are a joy to watch.

Attlebridge
Tumblr: omglaila
Deviantart: cospigeon

#8 Post by Attlebridge »

I also have the tilting problem when I draw with my (actual) paper on an angle. ;)

If you have Photoshop or an art program with similar functions, you can skew the image back into place with the Transform>Distort function, then adjust the corner points and horizontal/vertical skew until it's all even and level.

I begin all my digital art with pencil sketches, then scan them into my image editing software. I adjust the pencil sketch with rotation, skew, etc. until I'm satisfied with it. Then I move on to inking either digital or traditional, depending on how simple or complex the image is. (I find it's much easier to do complex and highly detailed inking by hand, because I have more control over the real pen)