How do I give 3D effect on shirts?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Viniciuskk
Regular
Projects: Spring Breeze
Organization: Homeroom Interactive

How do I give 3D effect on shirts?

#1 Post by Viniciuskk »

Heya Lemma. I'm a newbie artist and I've had quite a lot of trouble giving a 3D effect on a female shirt.

This is what I have: https://puu.sh/uD5gS/67d65b98d8.png

I've been trying for hours to give that shirt some proper depth for her breasts, but nothing seems to fit well :/
Any tips? It has to look sorta loose.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How do I give 3D effect on shirts?

#2 Post by indoneko »

Viniciuskk wrote:Heya Lemma. I'm a newbie artist and I've had quite a lot of trouble giving a 3D effect on a female shirt.

This is what I have: https://puu.sh/uD5gS/67d65b98d8.png

I've been trying for hours to give that shirt some proper depth for her breasts, but nothing seems to fit well :/
Any tips? It has to look sorta loose.
Breast shade shouldn't be shaped like that. It won't be a flat line, unless her chest is flat as board.
Take a soccer ball to a dark room, then light it up with a flash light mimicking the light source in your pic. You'll see a curved line there. Or better yet, take your mom/sister as a model.

You might also benefit from reading How To Draw Manga series, especially the ones about clothing and shading.
Attachments
disclaimer : this image is from HTDM : Dressing Your Character in Casual Wear
disclaimer : this image is from HTDM : Dressing Your Character in Casual Wear
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Viniciuskk
Regular

#3 Post by Viniciuskk »

I was trying to do something like this:

http://static.zerochan.net/Atelier.Soph ... 978811.jpg

The lines seem to make it look loose on her chest. On your example, it is tight on your character's skin (then it is loose below it, where lines appear), but I lack the experience to know where to draw the lines :S

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by indoneko »

Viniciuskk wrote:but I lack the experience to know where to draw the lines :S
Go to public places and start observing people then... :lol:
Or if you're a shy person, you could also observe indirectly by browsing through fashion magazines.

As for where to draw the lines, that depends on where your light is coming from (along with the folding/wrinkles on the cloth and the body curvature under it)

Viniciuskk
Regular

#5 Post by Viniciuskk »

indoneko wrote:
Viniciuskk wrote:but I lack the experience to know where to draw the lines :S
Go to public places and start observing people then... :lol:
Lol, haha.

Your example has only a single line in the middle, and it was enough to perfectly give it shape, aside from the shading. I guess magazines / google it is then.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#6 Post by YonYonYon »

You screwed the perspective in your picture. If you want to give your drawings 3D effect, you gotta think in 3D, in which perspective is very important.

I'll show it in practice when I'll get home to my drawing tools.
ImageImage

Viniciuskk
Regular

#7 Post by Viniciuskk »

https://puu.sh/uFvHS/0ccf9958cb.jpg ...Fail (tried something else beside the lines)
The breast to the right seems fine, but the other one... Ugh. I have no idea what it should look like.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by indoneko »

@Viniciuskk : Just like what yonyonyon said, this is a perspective error. You drew the character in a slightly high angle camera (kinda like bird view, but not that high)... but suddenly changed the camera angle when you draw the breast. Even if you managed to shade it perfectly, the final result would never look right.

Try to put the breast nearest to the camera at lower position that its neighbor. If you don't know how to do it, start observing real people, or study from fashion magazines and anatomy book to see the real breast's form & behavior. 8)

Viniciuskk
Regular

#9 Post by Viniciuskk »

indoneko wrote:Try to put the breast nearest to the camera at lower position that its neighbor. If you don't know how to do it, start observing real people, or study from fashion magazines and anatomy book to see the real breast's form & behavior. 8)
Sorry, I didn't get it: Which breast? Bird view? Would you mind scribbling on top of the drawing? Just take it on MSpaint and make circles or something.

Here's a what I have now:

https://puu.sh/uGfUU/66471f9981.png

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by indoneko »

Viniciuskk wrote:
indoneko wrote:Try to put the breast nearest to the camera at lower position that its neighbor. If you don't know how to do it, start observing real people, or study from fashion magazines and anatomy book to see the real breast's form & behavior. 8)
Sorry, I didn't get it: Which breast? Bird view? Would you mind scribbling on top of the drawing? Just take it on MSpaint and make circles or something.

Here's a what I have now:

https://puu.sh/uGfUU/66471f9981.png
Your new pic looks better, but somehow her chest became even flatter... :lol:

Okay, check the pic below.
The yellow line depicts the body line (it's not accurate, but you should get the point). You can see that one of her breast is located too high (or deformed so that it became smaller). The blue circle is the approximate location of the nipples where they are angled 90 degrees of each other

Her right arm (the left of the pic) also has problem. You might want to locate the elbow at lower position (about the same height as your navel - you can check it with your own body). The pink line is only a rough guide on how low you could reposition her arm.
Attachments
this is exaggerated, but you'd get the point... :3
this is exaggerated, but you'd get the point... :3

Viniciuskk
Regular

#11 Post by Viniciuskk »

Rofl, I have no idea why I thought her breast should even be there! Thanks a bunch, this is what I have now:

https://puu.sh/uGor0/234b7bde8c.jpg

Though I do have the 3D effect now, it looks like she isn't wearing a bra, and her dress is tight x_x I'll try more stuff tomorrow -- I think I should've shaded below it, rather than on it.

I'll also fix her arm, thanks for the pointer :)

Celianna
Veteran

#12 Post by Celianna »

Here's a quick and dirty (not very accurate) edit. I changed the shirt a bit following your design, although I can show you what the shirt would look like if it were drawn in the example you showed before.

Your biggest issue is trying to draw the breasts through the shirt. Unless this girl has a wet t-shirt that's super tight on her as well, breasts don't really get outlined through clothing. Instead, there will be shadows that are cast below the breasts, indicating there's a 'bump' there. The shadows will be quite subtle. There will be almost none if your girl doesn't have very large breasts.

Here's an image I made for someone else who had the same breast issue like you.

I recommend looking at pictures of fashion, google some shirts. For example, here's a tight shirt on a woman:

Check out how her breasts look like - they're not very pronounced, but they have a soft shadow beneath the breasts.

Here's another image, showing a woman in her bra. That's an easy way to tell where the shadows will be. Shadows will fall below the nipple line, and they will be like the humps on a camel's back or inverted. They will be like ︵ ︵ if the perspective is looking up at the character a bit, or ‿ ‿ if the perspective is looking down on the character.

In this example, the shadows are wavy like ‿ ‿

More anime examples of the shadows outlining the breasts. It is also okay to NOT draw any shadows for the breasts as well, especially if the girl has smaller breasts!

And here's an image of the top you wanted to draw, I think. Another image as well. Note that with a shirt like this, there won't be shadows outlining the breast - instead, the way you make it seem like there's breasts there, is by drawing the clothing folds falling from the breasts, or going towards the breasts.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Viniciuskk
Regular

#13 Post by Viniciuskk »

Awesome, Celianna! Thanks a bunch! :D

Viniciuskk
Regular

#14 Post by Viniciuskk »

Ugh, I can't get it right -- I tried two styles, a regular shading (like the blue shirt example of yours) and the "︵ ︵" shades.... Neither looked good :|

https://puu.sh/uHPLZ/17515b2521.jpg

The lighter shading just below the nipples look alright, but the darker... Ugh.

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#15 Post by King-sama »

Won't it just be easier if you used airbrush for the lighter shadows instead? And just add a bit little dark shadows
44.jpg
444.jpg
Last edited by King-sama on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.