app to turn photos into manga style art

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
latefordinner

app to turn photos into manga style art

#1 Post by latefordinner »

Hi!
This is my first post, but I've been a ren'py fan for a long time. Back when I was a teaching assistant in college, I made all my quizzes as visual novels using ren'py and the students loved it!
So anyways, I'm really bad at drawing, and as you guys know, it can be expensive commissioning art. To fix this I'm making this app that uses an Artificial intelligence to convert your picture into an anime/manga character!

Here's the link!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/32 ... nav_search

Even if you can't support right now, I'd be very interested in hearing if you would use this, or any other ideas you have.

P.S. @mods: I hope linking the kickstarter this isn't breaking rule #13 (which says that crowdfund links must have a demo), but the kickstarter isn't for a visual novel, it's for an app that can be used to make art for visual novels, among other things.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: app to turn photos into manga style art

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Nice idea.
Just curious what advantages you plan over the plethora of apps already available, including my personal favourite 'manga camera'
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... angacamera
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

latefordinner

Re: app to turn photos into manga style art

#3 Post by latefordinner »

Thanks!
So apps like manga camera use a cool filter, but you can still tell that it's just a photo that has a "Manga Filter" on it.
With Manga Me the A.I. really creates an actual manga character in your image, it's not a filter. The output from Manga Me won't be much different than what an artist would draw.