Resources for cinematic techniques (?) for better art?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Yunou
Regular

Resources for cinematic techniques (?) for better art?

#1 Post by Yunou »

In my journey for art improvement, I've been thinking a lot about storyboards/perspectives/interesting angles, etc.

One of my pet projects requires a lot of interesting angles and dynamic environments which I've always struggled with. I'm really looking to see if anyone has some good resources on the subject, maybe ones aimed at film making or comic making. I've been trying pay close attention to these elements when watching media, but I'd really like something that delves into the heart of not only how to find dynamic angles, but how to use them to best convey certain emotions or themes.

I don't even know what term to search for for this - cinematic techniques or film theory maybe?

Examples of what I mean:

Thanks for any help!

ISAWHIM
Veteran

Re: Resources for cinematic techniques (?) for better art?

#2 Post by ISAWHIM »

"Cinematic eye" or "Dramatic view cinematography"
This actually has one of those pictures as an example.
http://www.elementsofcinema.com/cinemat ... mposition/

POV is another one to look at. Usually first-person, but first/third is another one. (Over the shoulder of...)

You, through some style, try to capture a view coined as being "cinematic", as opposed to being just a "display of a scene" or a "stage".

Back in the 60's, you would see morons running-around with a monocle-lens that were actually a special "cinematic-view lens". (Not all were morons... Some actually did use it for the intended purpose, not just to try and impress chicks.) It was cheaper and easier than attempting to look through a camera to "frame-in" and "view" a scene.

For mood or perspective, you still find these types of shots being done. (Poorly, at times, but still a decent effort.)

"Looking down on someone", to show they are "insignificant" or "being belittled", or "overpowered by authority"... Which is the two shots you posted.

"Looking up on someone", to show "respect", "being overpowered", "sense of awe" (up to the heavens)

"Looking close at something", implying some kind of inspection or focused concentration of "body-language".

"Narrow focus", showing a tunnel-vision focus of something, or lack of focus on everything-else. (Drunkenness vs Concentration)

"Wide shots", for showing "take it all in", or "I am a spec in this view", or "My surroundings consume me"...

They use similar tricks to alter and exaggerate these shots too... (Placing tall people next to short people. Using "lifters" or platforms to raise others up over the rest in the shots.)

Another good one is the use of near and far exaggeration to imply voids of space between close-standing actors. Both kept in focus, to aid the illusion with a telephoto-zoom-lens from a great distance. That also removes some perspective from the shot.
Last edited by ISAWHIM on Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yunou
Regular

#3 Post by Yunou »

ISAWHIM wrote:"Cinematic eye"

You, through some style, try to capture a view coined as being "cinematic", as opposed to being just a "display of a scene" or a "stage".

Back in the 60's, you would see morons running-around with a monocle-lens that were actually a special "cinematic-view lens". (Not all were morons... Some actually did use it for the intended purpose, not just to try and impress chicks.) It was cheaper and easier than attempting to look through a camera to "frame-in" and "view" a scene.

For mood or perspective, you still find these types of shots being done. (Poorly, at times, but still a decent effort.)

"Looking down on someone", to show they are "insignificant" or "being belittled", or "overpowered by authority"... Which is the two shots you posted.

"Looking up on someone", to show "respect", "being overpowered", "sense of awe" (up to the heavens)

"Looking close at something", implying some kind of inspection or focused concentration of "body-language".

"Narrow focus", showing a tunnel-vision focus of something, or lack of focus on everything-else. (Drunkenness vs Concentration)

"Wide shots", for showing "take it all in", or "I am a spec in this view", or "My surroundings consume me"...

They use similar tricks to alter and exaggerate these shots too... (Placing tall people next to short people. Using "lifters" or platforms to raise others up over the rest in the shots.)

Another good one is the use of near and far exaggeration to imply voids of space between close-standing actors. Both kept in focus, to aid the illusion with a telephoto-zoom-lens from a great distance. That also removes some perspective from the shot.
Thanks for these terms! I will definitely use these.

I guess what I am looking for is to find videos, lessons, books, or pretty much anything that goes into detail about these things and how to utilize them properly/stage scenes properly. I've been searching for things like this myself, but I wasn't sure if anyone here have seen anything that they really recommend looking at.

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#4 Post by ISAWHIM »

There are TONS of books and videos, just from those search terms. (100% opinion, and if published, then outdated opinions, in most cases.) But the best way to learn is to simply notice those shots in any current films. Best to use up-to-date styles, unless shooting for nostalgia with over-used effects.

If you want to play with scene compositions, you can get "Daz 3D Studio"... It is free. Easy to pose the default models and there are some free stages you can play with. Including lighting and camera-effects. (Focus, lens-thickness, lens-flares, HDR-lighting.) Not difficult to get setup, but kind-of a pain to "master" at times. :P

Not to hard to practice in the real world too, with any phone that has a decent fixed-focus or infinite-focus ability.

It isn't just the shot... sometimes it is also the tricks in the shot and the whole composition of mood, lighting, scenery and even sounds... For the complete desired effect. (Mumbled sounds for drunkenness), (loud voices for authority or dominance), (Dark lighting for belittlement)

"Stage theatrics", or "Cinema theatrics" may also dig-up some useful information.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#5 Post by YonYonYon »

ImageImage

Yunou
Regular

#6 Post by Yunou »

YonYonYon wrote:Look at this, this is helpful http://floobynooby.blogspot.ru/2013/12/ ... art-1.html
Thanks so much! This is definitely what I'm looking for.