Good, free, avatar maker software/sites?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
SuperbowserX
Veteran

Good, free, avatar maker software/sites?

#1 Post by SuperbowserX »

I am making a game that will have very few characters. I'm interested in finding an avatar maker that is robust fairly, but is not too complex. I have no experience drawing art and I don't own a drawing tablet.

avatarmaker.com is better than nothing, but I have a feeling people in this community may know of something better. Anyone have anything good for making simple, human avatars with a good variety of customizeable features? Something that showed a full body pose would be nice :)

PrincessJinxCg

Re: Good, free, avatar maker software/sites?

#2 Post by PrincessJinxCg »

Yes I have a few, Daz Studio, Posers, Design Doll, you could also buy a BJD (if you're going for anime.) Dress it up and trace it that way. I know some are against tracing but me personally I don't see a problem with it long as you add your own style to it.

Also someone made a visual novel using themselves they rotoscoped it I think the game was called Last Night Stand or One Night Stand just google visual novel rotoscope.
If you have some friends have them dress up the way you want them to them rotoscope on top of them. There are some anime's that used rotoscoping.

That's my two cents, Hoped this helped.

Karl_C
Veteran

#3 Post by Karl_C »

Something that showed a full body pose would be nice
You can use MakeHuman to generate a 3D character and then GIMP to Make A 3D Image Look 2D.

MakeHuman and GIMP are both free software and run on MS-Windows, Mac OS/X and Linux.

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#4 Post by SuperbowserX »

Karl_C, I'm downloading makehuman now. Do you know if there are any makehuman tools that can allow me to transform the realistic-looking humans it appears to use into something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/37Iqz

What kind of animation style?