What is a software that can allow me to create art like this

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
SuperbowserX
Veteran

What is a software that can allow me to create art like this

#1 Post by SuperbowserX »

I am making a fangame based off of a game that used these character images.

http://imgur.com/a/37Iqz

Does anyone know what kind of image techniques/effects are likely used to construct images like this? And does anyone know of any software that can allow me to make more characters like this (where their head is angled in a certain direction), at least similar enough that my own characters would blend into the one from this game's?

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: What is a software that can allow me to create art like

#2 Post by MaiMai »

It looks like these images were rendered digitally in probably Photoshop? Meaning they were drawn from scratch, basically. There's no special software to make stylistic human faces like this, they were just drawn and then painted digitally, probably with a lot of layers and consideration to lighting. There's no way to pinpoint the exact technique from just small head sprites, but I'd gather they were drawn in a large resolution before being scaled down.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

To draw those, you can use any kind of digital drawing software... to make arts like that, it's more to artist skill rather than the software. You can use photoshop, GIMP, SAI, Clip Studio, Medibang... anything...
If you want to use those pictures in your game and you need to edit them, you will need graphic editor software, like photoshop (or GIMP if you prefer free software).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#4 Post by Katy133 »

I think technique-wise, the images heavily used photo reference. Either the artist looked at a model/image reference as they drew, or they imported the photos into the art program they used and traced parts of it (which is perfectly fine to do if you use your own photos, royalty-free ones, or photos used with the owner's permission).

Then the lineart was digitally painted-over using a painterly technique (the brushstrokes were slightly transparent, layer upon layer, and were done with a custom brush that has a traditional brush-like appearance).

The shadows/darker shades of colour were then blended together using a soft Smooth Tool.

Highlights were added to areas like the hair, eyes, skin, and other reflective areas.

Basically, a lot of to-life reference, and traditional painting techniques were possibly used to make the images.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!