How did you learn to draw?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: How did you learn to draw?

#16 Post by Mammon »

I loved drawing as a kid, and had great focus and patience for it. Back at that age (6 years old or so), just spending more than 15 minutes on a drawing already made you excel, so imagine how relatively good I was spending hours half copy-ing animals onto paper (6-year old me didn't understand the concept of tracing yet, so it was all look at picture, draw a bit, look again). In kindergarden I was that kid who could show you a drawing you know is a deer while the other kids had stickfigures impossible to define as either a horse or dog. 8)

I kept drawing a bit throughout high school, but the artist in me died around the same time the bookreader did: when I got a computer and video games. And in school they went more and more towards painting (which I hated and sucked at). I excelled at those sketching assignments like the 'draw someone modelling within 15 minutes' but rarely got more than a passing grade most semesters.

It was not until I had free time and decided to make a VN that I picked up art again. And as I went to digital drawing, this meant starting all the way back at square two. Once again my biggest virtue was the ability to spend hours on a single sprite instead of rushing it, and I'm very slowly improving. I'm not good at it yet, just patient, but all in due time.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

#17 Post by VimislikArt »

I had a college portfolio review at the Maryland Institute College of Art that went BADLY. The admissions adviser suggested that I sign up for a college portfolio prep class, so I did. Two weeks, 8 hours per day, and 50+ hours of homework later - BLAM! My snot was black with charcoal for a month, I stared at everything like I was performing surgery on it, and I could draw.
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

poorlyformed
Regular
Projects: Shadowburg
Tumblr: poorlyformed
itch: poorlyformed

#18 Post by poorlyformed »

I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. I used to spend hours drawing copies of pictures in books and comic books. My high school art teacher completely killed my love for it, though, because he was a pretentious jerk who thought comics were the lowest form of art there was. It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I picked it up again.

malinner

#19 Post by malinner »

I had to pick a career to train for and I picked art. By then, I'd somewhat move on to semi-realism due to the influence of DA and internet art. And yes, Feng Zhu. He was one of the coolest thing I'd seen growing up as an impressionable young artist, and was the reason I went ahead and tried to be a concept artist. I figured I liked video games and I liked drawing, the next natural progression would be to draw for video games.

malinner

#20 Post by malinner »