[Del]

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Eirrir
Regular
Projects: Operation: Future Domination
Tumblr: Eirrir
itch: eirrir

[Del]

#1 Post by Eirrir »

Removed
Last edited by Eirrir on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Too heavy referencing?

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

Well, I think a character design is meant to make them unique and not easily mistaken as that other character in that other game.

So I'd like to think that you need to choose what to tweak. Pick what is central to your character design, what makes them a part of that design. Let's say what you really want to use are the tattered long red robe, knee length hair, and the contrast with white dress. So...
- Maybe the boots doesn't have to be the same
- Maybe she doesn't need that thigh-high socks(?)
- Maybe the dress don't have to be that short because the woods are cold
- Maybe she's wearing a puffy shorts.

Idk, these are just some ideas. Good luck with it~ :D

Eirrir
Regular
Projects: Operation: Future Domination
Tumblr: Eirrir
itch: eirrir

#3 Post by Eirrir »

fuicchi wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm Well, I think a character design is meant to make them unique and not easily mistaken as that other character in that other game.

So I'd like to think that you need to choose what to tweak. Pick what is central to your character design, what makes them a part of that design. Let's say what you really want to use are the tattered long red robe, knee length hair, and the contrast with white dress. So...
- Maybe the boots doesn't have to be the same
- Maybe she doesn't need that thigh-high socks(?)
- Maybe the dress don't have to be that short because the woods are cold
- Maybe she's wearing a puffy shorts.

Idk, these are just some ideas. Good luck with it~ :D
Thanks for the input, Fuicchi! You made some very good points. I think I might be getting too attached to the other person's character that I've kind of lost sight of what I want the character I have to be like. I'll take some of your suggestions into consideration!
Last edited by Eirrir on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#4 Post by Tempus »

Generally if I'm going for a particular look I'll get several references that have things I like about them and then combine them. Even if I heavily reference one part the overall image tends to look original.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#5 Post by Mammon »

I can see the similarities but I can also tell that you do have the skills to make adaptations, for example how your sprite has a more feminine shape and actual shoulders. So, from the one hand I can see your hesitation with this sprite, from the other hand it's already quite well on its way to being unique enough.

If I'd have to give some suggestions, the left boot (my left, not hers) in reverse so that she's not standing with her shoes pointed at one another, maybe change the hair a bit without looking at any references, and add the shading without looking at the other sprite and in your own style/preference. That should make your sprite original enough for even the harsher 'All trace art is the devil's art!' critics to give you the benefit of the doubt. I myself think that your art is already different enough but I have a rather liberal opinion in that regard so best to put your stamp on it a bit more.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

cedes
Regular
itch: cedes

#6 Post by cedes »

I mean wow these two are very similar! What were the things that made you want to reference this artwork in particular? I say really pull those into your artwork and maybe change up the things that don't really fit into her surroundings? Maybe the forest has a lot of bushes and she hates getting her cape caught on it, it's already so torn up, maybe she bunches it up or pins it up? Maybe she likes to feel the grass on her feet or something, so less large boots (or the exact opposite sandals or barefoot maybe), or she's more of a camper and has extra items needed, pouches, a bag, a belt with items attached etc., or tatter up the rest of her outfit like the cape!! What's something that you pull from her personality onto her design?

Your artwork is very cute, and I'd love to see a more varied character design with it!!

Loreen
Organization: Kasztan Studio

#7 Post by Loreen »

I know this topic is quite old, but I discovered it after I drew sketches lol. I decided to write anyway,hope my opinion will help.

Sadly, but I think your art is a redraw, not just inspiration. You just used other person design and drew it in your style. You also made it in same pose, even hair strokes and cloth waves are the same.
If you want to make visual novel, it wont be right to use other artist's designs like that. I suggest to practice more with own ideas, search a lot for various inspiration (you are more creative when you see a lot of different things:clothes,arts,landscapes etc. and learn more about them). Referencing is good thing,but firstly you should have idea for own design.

To make it easier what is difference between redraw and inspiration,I drew these sketches:

In first drawing, I tried to do redraw. Same pose,emotions, hair strokes, etc.I made it in my style,but design is still copied.
In second drawing,I used mostly cape, hair type and shirt for inspiration. I made them to fit my own design,not copy their look.

You can have few ideas but it's normal that you arent sure how some things work/look and you need help. Its time for references. For example: I wanted to draw braid entwined with ribbon, add skirt with scottish cut and short boots.To make it easier for me I can search and look for things which I have in my mind.

Hope these examples helped.
In conclusion, I think your art is really nice,but you need to be creative with your design<3
Try different pose, think about another pieces of clothing,emotions,colours, search for photo references if you need "technical" help.
Good luck!