Background Art Creation Suggestions?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
SueshiRoll
Projects: SACRIFICE

Background Art Creation Suggestions?

#1 Post by SueshiRoll »

Hello there!

My name is SueshiRoll and I want to ask the background artists of Lemmasoft how you guys do backgrounds and what software do you use to achieve the final product? Also, what method do you suggest to a beginner who is still looking for that high quality end product?

I have a drawing tablet available for use, Gimp is my preferred program though I could probably get Photoshop somehow (just trying to avoid it for licensing and expense reasons), I'm rather intuitive so I can learn a basic program pretty quickly (but Google will most definitely teach the rest), and I'm pretty patient so I'm not necessarily looking for what is the fastest method. I just want a professional look that doesn't require too much training in certain software (such as 3D rendering software) or lots of money thrown at it.

Any suggestions that you have would be highly appreciated. ^^

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

Re: Background Art Creation Suggestions?

#2 Post by YonYonYon »

1) Learn basics of the perspective like the horizon line, vanishing points and such. I have a small collection of perspective tutorials on my Tumblr http://yondamoegi.tumblr.com/tagged/perspective
I found this one pretty good for the beginners http://yondamoegi.tumblr.com/post/11798 ... erspective

2) Sketch a background in any preferable program

3) Get yourself Medibang Paint Pro, it's free

4) Open your sketch in Medibang, create a perspective ruler with the highlighted tool

5) save the ruler via The Rulers tab

6) create a new perspective ruler for your second vanishing point, save it too. Make sure the both rulers are approximately on the same horizon line

7) draw over your sketch with the perspective rulers

8 ) after getting the perspective right, you can finish in any other program

Also, apparently Clip Studio has better perspective rulers, but I'm not sure since I don't use that program
ImageImage

SueshiRoll
Projects: SACRIFICE

Re: Background Art Creation Suggestions?

#3 Post by SueshiRoll »

YonYonYon wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:03 am
OMG this is so helpful! Thank you very much! :)