Male hairstyle

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Cakey
Regular
Deviantart: Ilsaaaaa

Male hairstyle

#1 Post by Cakey »

I have a problem. I don't seem to mind draving hair for girls but i have very hard time drawing hairstyles for boys. The best thing for me to just let them stay bald but you know... everyone wants to have nice hair and I ma not going to make romance game where you can flirt with bunch of bald guys.

So... any tips for drawing attractive hairstyles for guys?

Extra question: You favourite male hairstyle.

jane_runs_fast
Regular

Re: Male hairstyle

#2 Post by jane_runs_fast »

Hey- take a look at my fanart blog (jane_runs_fast.tumblr.com) and if you like the kinda hair I draw I'll make you a tutorial.

Also- I think men with long hair look better and are easier to draw.

Cakey
Regular

#3 Post by Cakey »

I have different problem. Male hairstyles that are short are for me natural and fine. But I really want to do some bangs anime long hair guy and I just can't pull it off. It looks like man in a wig or well... just see for youself

Cakey
Regular

#4 Post by Cakey »

Cakey
Regular

#5 Post by Cakey »

Like metalhead :D

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#6 Post by jane_runs_fast »

That looks great- the bottom one might just need some hair in front of the ear to make everything look more connected.
The top one- the right side of the hairline is a bit high, but outside of that neither sketches gives off the impression that the character is wearing a wig.

Maybe set the sketch aside for a few hours and come back to take a fresh look at your work?
Sometimes when I get too focused on a problem I get tunnel vision- and it warps how I view my drawings.

We have different drawing styles- but here are a few things that might help the hair and body look more natural together.
head.jpg
Hope this helps.

Cakey
Regular

#7 Post by Cakey »

Indeed looks much better with hairline lower. I have always had problem with to high hairline so it is no srupraise for me :D

Really looks better when I thickened the sketch and add hair around face.

Bt still if I tried to sketch the same hairstyle that example had i ended up with too feminnie hair.

I know I am doing something wrong but i have no idea what. Curly hair are especially tricky for me. They have too much fluff and seem to be really out of place. I get away with that kind of hair with woman becouse they are very feminnie and dreamy but is really sucks for guys.

Cakey
Regular

#8 Post by Cakey »

Maybe his face is too large?

jane_runs_fast
Regular

#9 Post by jane_runs_fast »

No- His face looks proportionate to his features- the third hairstyle looks very natural, and the second and first one looks much more natural than before. Could I see an image of him with curly hair?

The third image has a little curl- but does not look floofy at all...

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#10 Post by Katy133 »

Something that I do is find some photos of male characters/actors with different haircuts for reference (I learned recently that this is called a "swipe folder"). Then I use those references to draw variations of different haircuts and hairstyles.

If the game is set during a certain time period (1950s, Medieval, etc.), you may also get inspiration from looking up hair styles commonly found during that time.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

#11 Post by Ibitz »

I have the same issues, too. A lot of my male characters do have medium/long hair in my current VN, but that is honestly my favorite hairstyle. However, I know not all guys have hair like that. For me, I studied pictures of men and learned how their hair looked. I've been practicing for my next game. With this game, though, it feels like my character's personalities basically chose the hair and it felt like I unconsciously drew their hair. Best thing to do is just study different hairstyles and try sketching them. After a while, it should come naturally to you. We always are better at drawing what we're most comfortable with. In my case, most of the guys around me have medium/long shaggy hair, so I just got used to that.

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.