How to Draw Panoramic Rooms?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

How to Draw Panoramic Rooms?

#1 Post by Katy133 »

Ren'py allows creators to use backgrounds that the player can scroll around, if the image is larger than the screen dimensions (see: Ren'Py's Tutorial game for an example).

This can be used to let the player look around all four walls of a room. The challenge however, is that you'd need to draw the room as a panorama.

These are photographic panoramas. Note how the perspective bends everything. But if you were to "crop" the whole image, the perspective will look normal.

Source.

Another example. | Source

My question is, how do you draw a panoramic room? Tutorial links are welcome.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: How to Draw Panoramic Rooms?

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

For a panoramic background, you can have as many vanishing points as you like, but the horizon line cannot change.

So here's an example of a background that's extended to be more panoramic:

If you want to extend it further, you can round the point where the wall gets closest to you and redirect it to another vanishing point.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#3 Post by Katy133 »

@pupptbomb: Regarding the horizon line, that's a useful observation. Thanks! Knowing that makes things seem a lot clearer, because while the floor-meeting-the-walls are really curved and warped, the horizon line is always linear.

Okay, I've made a new discovery. I made a draw-over of the panorama from the original post (see attachment), and outlined the floor and ceiling's perspective/grid in red and black, and the walls' corners in blue. With that, we have a much clearer picture of where the vanishing points are (where the red lines cross on the horizon line).

The way I see it, there's now a noticeable pattern of how to draw a panoramic room from scratch: If you first create some sort of grid divided into four segments (one for each room), placing a vanishing point in each, and bending the floor/ceiling lines to cross over into the next vanishing point.

The problem now is, how do you create such a grid/template properly? How do you measure it so that it looks not too warped (for a typical visual novel screen--say, 1280 by 720), yet not too stretched out--which would also stretch the furniture?
Attachments
panoramicCapture.PNG
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Abbie
Projects: Siren's Ballad
Organization: Kasztan Studio
Tumblr: sirensballad-vn
Deviantart: kairek
itch: kairekxkairek

#4 Post by Abbie »

I found article about this kind of perspective shot. It includes grid for spherical shot too.
ImageImage

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

If I were you I would block out the room in Blender(a free 3D software package that also does a lot more), render a panorama and then draw over it in an image editor. I found a short tutorial (less than 2 mins) on how to render a panorama in Blender:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Z-6sRSyZyT4[/youtube]

I've actually been thinking of teaching my elementary school students to render some panoramas in Blender too.

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#6 Post by puppetbomb »

I made an animated GIF in how I would approach the scene to minimize warping:

Basically, rather than curving toward a vanishing point, it would go straight to it. Or in the case of the middle windows, I would straighten out the lines to run parallel to the horizon line.

I may warp the end of the rug in the last image depending on how the background would display. But if possible, I avoid objects that may be prone to warping.