Full body or mid body sprites?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
ScarletKnives
Deviantart: ScarletKnives-X

Full body or mid body sprites?

#1 Post by ScarletKnives »

i want to create a VN in the future but Im debating myself if drawing the full body sprites or just thighs up sprites like in the vast majority of novels... It makes even harder when my characters range between different heights.

Here is a X-mas related drawing I did from my most relevant characters:

http://fav.me/dbww236

As you can see there is a clear height difference. I didn't had the novel on mind when making this piece but will work as example from what Im trying to say. Converting this into VN sprites and using thighs up ones will make the blonde girl's legs gone; and I guess it will look even weirder when the text box hides the down part of the sprite. AND thats using the foxgirl's legs as reference; which makes this a pain in the butt... And of course I'm not mentioning the other way around for obvious reasons XD.

Of course, this is an exaggeration at the most since the foxgirl is around 166 cm and the blonde girl is around 140 cm.

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

Re: Full body or mid body sprites?

#2 Post by mitoky »

Personally, i would always go for fullbody. I dont think that i would mind it in game at all if its mid thight or fullbody drawn, since you dont see it anyways.
The only thing to take into account with mid-thight is to make sure 'shake' effects dont make the cut part of the image visible, so it should ba a tad longer.

The reason i would go for fullbody though is for promotional reasons. Like when you make a page for the game or use the artwork later on you have more freedome when you have fullbody art.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Full body or mid body sprites?

#3 Post by Mammon »

Depends, either full body or knees. Never waist, if you find out you need more after adding the shade you'll probably need to do over the shade entirely. If you still have those layers separated, that is.

The knees pretty much requires you to draw a belt and pockets, but the rest is mostly slightly curved lines down. Perspective, shading and pose are still very forgiving at that point. A full-body can do more, but the feet might look rediculously spread or crossed in the leg poses that seem normal for a lot of cut-off sprites. Though these legs can be a lot less detailed than the rest of the body needs to be, making simple 2 color shoes won't really bother anyone considering they'll rarely see those shoes, but the size of the file can act differently even if you made very simple legs. It can easily be +30% in pure pixel ratio size which does add to every layer even if most layers are empty in that area. I've really noticed a lag building up with full-body sprites where waist wouldn't have. Though, assuming you don't make them 2000x4000 and have a proper computer that shouldn't be a problem.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?