The correct perspective and other factors for bg.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Goddiga
Regular
Completed: Anirone
Projects: Love x Lust
Tumblr: whateverzone
itch: whateverzone

The correct perspective and other factors for bg.

#1 Post by Goddiga »

Which one is correct in terms of perspective and other aspects need to be concerned for background? Or maybe neither? There will be two sprites showing on the left and right side of the picture. Thank you!

*Sprites example:

*Notes : I didn't draw these myself. It is a commission I paid for my game.
Last edited by Goddiga on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: The correct perspective and other factos for bg.

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Overall, pretty good. The third link feels the best composition-wise. Your horizon line (eye line) is a little low, and you are going to run into problems if you hang characters off the horizon line as it is. Visual novels have special considerations for placing the horizon line and sprites to give extra space at the bottom of the screen. I'll leave this here.

Goddiga
Regular

#3 Post by Goddiga »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 pm Overall, pretty good. The third link feels the best composition-wise. Your horizon line (eye line) is a little low, and you are going to run into problems if you hang characters off the horizon line as it is. Visual novels have special considerations for placing the horizon line and sprites to give extra space at the bottom of the screen. I'll leave this here.
Thank you for your suggestion! My supervisor told me that the merry-go-round in the third pic looks too small and thin compare to the wide space around it. So, he advise me the first pic. But, I don't want to rely on only one person and one opinion about this bg issue. Please clarify me if his suggestion is right or not.

And the bottom space, does the third pic need more of it?

Thank you for your link, too! Though I do not understand those kind of things, so I might at least translate it and tell my artist about it.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Goddiga wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 am Thank you for your suggestion! My supervisor told me that the merry-go-round in the third pic looks too small and thin compare to the wide space around it. So, he advise me the first pic. But, I don't want to rely on only one person and one opinion about this bg issue. Please clarify me if his suggestion is right or not.

Thank you for your link, too! Though I do not understand those kind of things, so I might at least translate it and tell my artist about it.
My main suggestion would be to shift the eye line (sight line of the camera) further down. This would require redrawing almost everything, as the perspective will shift on everything.

You want more space at the bottom of the image for visual novels because things like the text box will have to go there, and you don't want it covering too much of the character sprites. So you generally want to plan it out so that your tallest character's head will be just a little below the top of the screen. This keeps shorter characters from getting lost behind the text box too.

But keep in mind that this is all only if you are being really strict about matching perspective between the character sprites and backgrounds. It is super nice and good looking if you can do this, but it isn't strictly necessary. As long as you are close, most people won't notice. And there are a lot of successful visual novels where the backgrounds and character sprites don't match perspective at all.

Goddiga
Regular

#5 Post by Goddiga »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am
Goddiga wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 am Thank you for your suggestion! My supervisor told me that the merry-go-round in the third pic looks too small and thin compare to the wide space around it. So, he advise me the first pic. But, I don't want to rely on only one person and one opinion about this bg issue. Please clarify me if his suggestion is right or not.

My main suggestion would be to shift the eye line (sight line of the camera) further down. This would require redrawing almost everything, as the perspective will shift on everything.

You want more space at the bottom of the image for visual novels because things like the text box will have to go there, and you don't want it covering too much of the character sprites. So you generally want to plan it out so that your tallest character's head will be just a little below the top of the screen. This keeps shorter characters from getting lost behind the text box too.

But keep in mind that this is all only if you are being really strict about matching perspective between the character sprites and backgrounds. It is super nice and good looking if you can do this, but it isn't strictly necessary. As long as you are close, most people won't notice. And there are a lot of successful visual novels where the backgrounds and character sprites don't match perspective at all.
Oh.. changing the whole thing will be a lot of work. I'll still keep it in mind for the perfect picture.

I can be a bit strict to some extent because I used to hired an artist who gave me a wrong perspective piece. The art is marvelous and the mistake is unnoticeable to my eyes.

Here's the picture. It's about the horizontal line? and the lower floor of the rightmost building closest to the screen. If I'm correct.

Well, whatever. Once I reached my limit, I think I will just stop seeking more pictures and choose the best one on hands.

Anyways, those advise really helpful and clear most of my thought now. Thank you a lot for this!
Still, I have one last question that came to my mind.

This is the first sketch of the picture I got. I like this picture the most for some reason, but my supervisor told me it is wrong. Is the merry-go-round in this picture really too far and also too small compared to the overall space and buildings, especially to the ferris wheel and roller coaster back there? Thank you so much for all your help! Now I feel less stressing.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Goddiga wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm Image

This is the first sketch of the picture I got. I like this picture the most for some reason, but my supervisor told me it is wrong. Is the merry-go-round in this picture really too far and also too small compared to the overall space and buildings, especially to the ferris wheel and roller coaster back there? Thank you so much for all your help! Now I feel less stressing.
The merry-go-round in that image is definitely too small to be for adults when comparing it to the food stands, but I've seen merry-go-rounds that size for small children.

Like I said, I wouldn't drive yourself too crazy with stuff like this, especially if you aren't the artist. Backgrounds and perspective is hard - I'm certainly not an expert. It's why a lot of us 'cheat' and use 3D modeling program to mock-up an environment and then draw over it.

And again, a lot of people won't notice. Even as an artist, if I'm engaged with the story and everything looks good and mostly right, I probably won't notice small errors in perspective.

Goddiga
Regular

#7 Post by Goddiga »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:33 pm
Goddiga wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm Image

The merry-go-round in that image is definitely too small to be for adults when comparing it to the food stands, but I've seen merry-go-rounds that size for small children.

Like I said, I wouldn't drive yourself too crazy with stuff like this, especially if you aren't the artist. Backgrounds and perspective is hard - I'm certainly not an expert. It's why a lot of us 'cheat' and use 3D modeling program to mock-up an environment and then draw over it.

And again, a lot of people won't notice. Even as an artist, if I'm engaged with the story and everything looks good and mostly right, I probably won't notice small errors in perspective.
Okay! I guess that's about it for this problem. I'm glad you heard me out and gave me some advice!