Blue Forest Fantasy Sprites- Opinion?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

Blue Forest Fantasy Sprites- Opinion?

#1 Post by Neeka »

Hello everyone! I've asked a similar question on the discord server some time ago, but I was wondering what everyone thought concerning these sprites for a 'retro' JRPG visual novel game. I plan on tweaking the sprites somewhat, such as penciling in a nose for example. (see below for art) Some questions...

-Would you play a game with this art style?

-Is it distracting in any way?

-If you could change something what would it be?

The game I plan on making with these assets would be an RPG hybrid, including an inventory, battles, lots of CGS, party dynamics, etc. You can choose to play as a girl or boy and choose a class, such as warrior/knight, scribe, 'mage', etc. You would earn points from won battles that would upgrade your armor and skills. Of course, a winding adventure story with many choice and dialogue options, possibly even romantic ones.

I also had the idea of maybe an artist drawing over the sprites but I'm not sure about that...

frylander
Regular

Re: Blue Forest Fantasy Sprites- Opinion?

#2 Post by frylander »

The sprites look pretty good to me, very professional on the anime style, my only concern is, are the second and third sprites from the same character? Because they look very much alike but thye don't seem like the same character, and since the pose is the same and all, it's kind of distracting, but it may have something to do with your plot or something so I may be wrong on that.

Other than that, I just want to let you know that what you explained on the game having lots of choices with battles, boy/girl, romances even maybe... that's a lot of work! So I hope you have a team helping you out or it will take you lot's of time to do all that!

Either way, my best of luck for you and your project!

Neeka
Veteran

#3 Post by Neeka »

frylander wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:45 pm The sprites look pretty good to me, very professional on the anime style, my only concern is, are the second and third sprites from the same character? Because they look very much alike but thye don't seem like the same character, and since the pose is the same and all, it's kind of distracting, but it may have something to do with your plot or something so I may be wrong on that.

Other than that, I just want to let you know that what you explained on the game having lots of choices with battles, boy/girl, romances even maybe... that's a lot of work! So I hope you have a team helping you out or it will take you lot's of time to do all that!

Either way, my best of luck for you and your project!
There are 5 or 6 "bodies" that you can make different characters from; the second and third being from the same one. And thanks for your opinion! :) It is quite a lot, but I'm currently working by myself, eheh. I will hire people for the CGs, GUI and backgrounds. Everything else I'll try to find for free commercial use around the web.

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

#4 Post by rito »

They look professional, but very old. As in, 15~20 years old. If you want to use that to your favor, I'd suggest making the whole art and design look equally old. They'd stand up too much against a clean, modern UI, for example.
ri·to (ɺʲito) n. 1.illustrator 2.loves capybaras

Neeka
Veteran

#5 Post by Neeka »

I ended up finding some other art that I could use for an RPG that is a bit newer in style that I still really like. There's not really any customization but the characters are all interesting.

https://trello-attachments.s3.amazonaws ... pfixed.jpg