Character/expression sheet

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
actualgarbage

Character/expression sheet

#1 Post by actualgarbage »

So I’m organizing my models expressions and the way I have been doing this is essentially sketching out the figure, copy that figure, paste to a new layer, change the expression. I repeat this process for my sprites other poses and the following expressions for that pose. Is there a better way to do this? The only issue I could forsee having doing it the way I am is maybe losing some of the line art/coloring consistency along the way. Would it be wiser to just leave the figures face empty and just draw the expressions seperarlty and the just paste them onto the faceless model?

Ekamu
Regular
Completed: Paper Guitar

Re: Character/expression sheet

#2 Post by Ekamu »

Work with whichever is faster, I think its best to edit expressions digitally than drawing the full figure over and over again.

Color consistency can be hard to attain especially shading, its best to draw a template like you said with a blank face and keep editing the line work for faces digitally.
------------Paper Guitar------------
Experimental Nostalgic Romance VN Out Now!
.......made with love from the lucid moon........

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: Character/expression sheet

#3 Post by morinoir »

I think it'll be better if you post some screenshots of how you organize the expressions you've made, so we could see the problem clearly and give better solution.
Did you redraw (line art and color) the whole figure just to change their expression? Because that's very ineffective. When I make sprite, I usually separate the layers for body and layers for face in different folders. That way I can edit the face/expression without disturbing the finished body.