Sprites Time!

Art threads specific to a single artist.
Oliver1412
Projects: Le Baron Rouge/The Town/Hidari
Deviantart: kuroyaakhu

Sprites Time!

#1 Post by Oliver1412 »

Hello!
Well well, I'm new here and I'm currently trying to make a "sort-of-Phoenix-Wright" game, and I'm using the same sprites as many little games I've done before. I won't tell the story here, but I just wanted to ask if some had a hard time doing the sprites too? The fact is: I want to create more sprites but it's really annoying so I gave up xD
Also I wanted to know what you think about the style of a visual novel. Should the shades be in:
anime style
Anime style
Anime style
eeeh....JPG (21.26 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
or in this style (how do you call it ?) :
I-don't-know-how-to-call-it style
I-don't-know-how-to-call-it style
Thank you for reading! Here come some sprites!
Alice
Alice
Agatha
Agatha
Hecule
Hecule
P.S : What do you think of the sprites I've made? I would like to have an outside advice! ("outside advice"... I'm not sure about using this word... I hope you'll understand ^^')
Look at the sky. Isn't it beautiful?
------------------------------------------
Now working on "Dark Investigation"

pumpkin spike
Regular
Projects: A Bureau of Monsters
itch: pumpkin-spike

Re: Sprites Time!

#2 Post by pumpkin spike »

I think the shading will depend on the tone you're trying to set for your visual novel.
Both look like anime style to me, with the second style being more detailed than the first.

I think your sprites look very cute, but I'm not sure what sort of advice you're looking for?
WIP AllxAll game with turn based fighting (Demo 2.0 out!)

WIP Yaoi game Demo 1.0 out! (haitus)

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#3 Post by runeraccoon »

Anime's cell shade and VN's soft-shade? Personally I drew in the latter, because you actually need a strong grasp of lighting source for cell shade, lest it comes out looking weird. xD

Your sprites look very cute! The boy in particular look cartoony, so cell shade would definitely benefit him more than soft-shade. You should keep looking around for examples and references on where they usually put the shadings.

Good luck!

Oliver1412

#4 Post by Oliver1412 »

The red-haired one is cute but this is a perfect replica of Dahlia Hawthorne (in Ace Attorney, I don't know if you know her :D) so be aware of her !!

Thank you very much for answering me, and that's a good idea --> I'll keep looking for examples, thank you!

Ermytarya
Regular
Projects: I am working on something, dunno about how to name it yet.

#5 Post by Ermytarya »

You should decide what style to use thinking in your target audience and the type of game your are creating.
i personally would pick anime because most of the people who play VNs likes anime. But you never know, so you better pick a style that YOU like.
i like the style you choose for your sprites. looks like a cute artstyle.

Oliver1412

#6 Post by Oliver1412 »

Ermytarya wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:26 am You should decide what style to use thinking in your target audience and the type of game your are creating.
i personally would pick anime because most of the people who play VNs likes anime. But you never know, so you better pick a style that YOU like.
Yes, you're right, and I think I'll continue with the anime style (it's also easier to do). But I've done some "VN" style sprite before and it's not that bad! (but it was looong ago, here the shades are pretty simple.)
DeeHappyHappy.png
But yeah yeah, I'll stay with anime style!
Ermytarya wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:26 am i like the style you choose for your sprites. looks like a cute artstyle.
Thank you !! (these characters will appear in only one murder case I'm afraid ^^' I'll think I use them a second time though!)