Leaving GUI for last?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Forze

Leaving GUI for last?

#1 Post by Forze »

First time using renpy, so I don't exactly know what I'm doing yet. I was wondering if I could leaving customizing the GUI for last in my project. I'm thinking about having all of the script and images in, and then lastly I will change the GUI to my liking. Will break any of the previous progress? I assume there will be a couple things that don't exactly fit here and there, but is there anything major I should know of?

Thanks.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Leaving GUI for last?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

You can leave your GUI for any time you like. What may cause problems is if you need to add features after you have already created half of your GUI, so for this reason it is always a good idea to at least make sure you have most of your game designed before setting out to work on the GUI. Leaving it for last, is just taking that a step further and shouldn't cause any problems.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Leaving GUI for last?

#3 Post by Katy133 »

There's not hard-and-fast rule to what order you "should" create assets for your visual novel, but you should at least have some idea of the GUI's placemen and size, because that will effect other aspects of production. For example, how big the textbox is, and how transparent it is will effect what you can see of the background art and how much of the characters are in view. Also keep things like colour schemes in mind (you probably don't want to use dark text on top of a dark textbox, etc).
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!