Stats/Inventory Screen Critique

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Don't Look (AGS game)
Projects: KANPEKI! ★Perfect Play★
Organization: Crappy White Wings

Stats/Inventory Screen Critique

#1 Post by Milkymalk »

This is the inventory screen for my rpg game.

Ignore the actual assets for a second, these are almost all CC placeholders. This isn't supposed to be pretty for now. I'm asking about the layout and area management: Do you think this is easy to use and to read? Is it too crowded? What would you want to have there, what do you think should go to the skills screen?

The equipment slots will receive a "ghost" image to clarify what sort of item goes there, so please excuse the empty squares for now :mrgreen:

Skills will get a page of their own, accessible by clicking the portrait (I couldn't find a good place for another button). Character selection tabs will be on the left as well as the "close" button (will go where this character's selection tab would go).

Crappy White Wings (currently quite inactive)
Working on: KANPEKI!
(On Hold: New Eden, Imperial Sea, Pure Light)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Stats/Inventory Screen Critique

#2 Post by Zelan »

It looks pretty decent to me. Why not put the "skills" button above the hunger/tiredness meters?

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Milkymalk »

I was considering that too, but that's where level/xp are going, so it would look too cramped. Maybe I can squeeze it in, as I'm not too happy with clicking the portrait. Another option is to put the button just right of the first inventory row. It would stand out and be reachable, but it feels like the wrong place for the skills button.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#4 Post by morinoir »

Layout-wise, it's quite okay actually. I've seen equipment menu like that in other game, and it does always look a bit cramped. I think it feels cramped because the equipment icons are scattered, rather than neatly align. I tried to made a quick alternative of the version where the icons are align neatly below, but it's just one of many options you have. You may want to consider reducing the number of item you can equip too.
Untitled-1.jpg
Also another thing that makes the layout cramped is because there isn't much space between words, and I think the easiest way to solve it is by reducing the font size and create a slimmer design for the bar, but it really depends on the resolution of your game. Good luck!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#5 Post by Mutive »

It looks decent to me. However, the HP/MP almost look cut off in the first frame. (Which would worry me as a player as I need to know what my HP is!) I prefer the look by Moirnoir, FWIW, as it looks a bit more open/intuitive.

(It might also make sense to have the "constantly showing" screen with HP/MP, then only show the full screen when a player clicks it open to use items from inventory, change stats, whatever.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

Milkymalk
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Milkymalk »

Mutive wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 pm It looks decent to me. However, the HP/MP almost look cut off in the first frame. (Which would worry me as a player as I need to know what my HP is!) I prefer the look by Moirnoir, FWIW, as it looks a bit more open/intuitive.
That's only the preview. Click it and you see the full image :D
(It might also make sense to have the "constantly showing" screen with HP/MP, then only show the full screen when a player clicks it open to use items from inventory, change stats, whatever.)
That's the plan because there will be a full party, not only one character. Think Eye of the Beholder.
morinoir wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 pmI think it feels cramped because the equipment icons are scattered, rather than neatly align. I tried to made a quick alternative of the version where the icons are align neatly below, but it's just one of many options you have. You may want to consider reducing the number of item you can equip too.
That's actually worth a thought or two. As I said, the assets like images, styles, fonts and so on are just placeholders, these will definitely change. But I'll make a note about it, and putting the equipment slots on the side might also be good.
As for fewer equipment slot: Not likely :D

I think I will get rid of the "eat/consume" button and instead use the portrait for that, so clicking it with a potion or food will use it. As for skills, I'm imagining an additional "pull out" tab on the far right, like a vertical button. That's the best I could come up with so far.