Artist looking for Illustrator display tablet ?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
fujian

Artist looking for Illustrator display tablet ?

#1 Post by fujian »

I am not a professional artist yet .
I am hesitating to pick XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro or Wacom Cintiq 22HD .
My only experience with XP-Pen is the Deco 01.
Yesterday I went to wacom shop and finally got the chance to try on the Wacom Cintiq 22HD , I don't have any experience in drawing on screen but one thing that make me hesitated is the Wacom Cintiq 22HD is quiet hot on the middle top of the screen .
Unfortunately huion do not sell in local store , I got no chance to test it .
And one of my problem is that I am still in the process of stuying to be a artist so I am weak at composition . I heard that with a bigger screen it help to not mess up the composition cuz you can look on the full view while drawing .
I got the money for Cintiq 22HD display drawing tablet , but I am really conflicted whether should I go for the pricey one would it be worth or not ....
I contact the xp-pen service ,they told me this : XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro (2018 model): professional, newest model with a large screen. it's perfect for your needs (except for the highest price) but it's made for professionals; invest in it if you want something to last 8-10years or +
I want a XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro ( https://www.amazon.com/XP-PEN-Artist22E ... B01M9EURM1 ) because I could get a big tablet for a small price. Comparable Wacoms were thrice as expensive,

I think it would be nice if someone giving me some suggestion . thanks !

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: Artist looking for Illustrator display tablet ?

#2 Post by morinoir »

I have no experience on both pen display tablet, but have you seen reviews by Brad Colbow? He created a list of wacom cintic alternative on his website : http://bradcolbow.com/reviews/wacom-cin ... tives.html along with their review, both text and video, including those xp-pen 22e. A quick search on youtube also provide a lot of similar video.

As for composition problem, there's a technique called 'thumbnailing' which is drawing (just sketch) in very small canvas to find the best composition before translate them into a bigger canvas. Or you can simply zoom out until you can see the whole canvas and start drawing.

VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

#3 Post by VimislikArt »

I currently have a Cintiq 22HD Touch for use at home, and I absolutely adore it, and it's really been a boon to my work process. HOWEVER, it's still $2,000 dollars, and I worked professionally as an artist without it for nearly 10 years. At my day job at a game studio, many of my colleagues and I still use the Wacom Intuos 3 to make art and animated assets for games and apps, and are perfectly content using it.

If you're still just learning how to use your digital tools, and building your skills as an artist, pick up one of those Wacom Intuos Draw tablets that are around $100, and buy a high quality professional digital drawing program. They work just fine, and by the time you've worn out the tablet, you'll have a better idea if a display tablet would be a worthwhile investment.

Honestly, I didn't feel comfortable buying my Cintiq until the year I was able to write it off on my taxes - after factoring in my expenses one year, I still had several thousand dollars in profit, so I spent some money getting a new computer chair, upgrading some computer parts, and buying my tablet. This may not be the best barometer for you, but it's much easier to drop a couple grand on a piece of equipment when you can say, "This is a legitimate business expense."
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

Cyanade

#4 Post by Cyanade »

In my opinion, a bigger screen is not really as important as the ability to zoom in or out of a work when it comes to checking composition. When painting traditionally, artists judge their composition by standing different distances away from their canvas. The key is being able to see if the bigger picture is working or not. Like morinoir said, thumbnailing is the best way to practice composition because it forces you to look at the bigger picture.
With that said, have you considered getting something like an ipad+apple pencil instead? It has a lower price point with the added advantage of being portable-it's perfect for sketching or painting outside in an easy and convenient way.

hitamitu
Completed: Wings to Fly
itch: hitamitu

#5 Post by hitamitu »

i dont know if this will help you, but i found an extremely cheap alternative to both and i think it fit fit your current need. its called asus PT201Q and you can see the review here: https://www.parkablogs.com/picture/revi ... or-artists

the review is pretty positive so i think it might be good alternative.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

I love Cintiq... but IMO 1st generation Cintiq is not worth it anymore. Sure, you get high build quality, nice display and colors, and good batteryless pen. But overall, other brands are catching up. If you must get a Cintiq, go for Cintiq Pro line... For Cintiq 22 price range, you can get Cintiq Pro 16. It may only 16", but it has almost no parallax, no lag, and 8000 level of pressure sensitivity. Oh, and also 4K display.
Or you can go for other brand. IDK what brand available in your country but there are tons of other Cintiq alternative out there, from 13", 15", all the way to 22" (never heard bigger than that though... but then again, no other brand has managed to make 4K display... so 22+" with 1080 resolution will look bad anyway). And they are FAR cheaper compared to Cintiq and yet has acceptable quality. Their technology is up to par with Cintiq 13HD (with slightly worse adobe RGB). So it's worth your every penny.
Huion and Ugee is comparable. Some people claim Artisul is THE best Cintiq alternative but they are not cheap. They have 13, 16, and 22 version... and Artisul pen is batteryless, quite uncommon for Cintiq alternative.
Personally, I recommend Artisul. I didn't have any problem with their drivers... a common problem for Cintiq alternative.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW