GUI Artist's Block

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Westeford
Regular
Completed: 12 Hours to Die
Projects: Project Premonition
itch: westeford

GUI Artist's Block

#1 Post by Westeford »

So I've been working a lot on the GUI for my current project, but I've hit a wall...I'm having a hard time deciding the direction I want to head. Particularly for the text boxes. I know what I want and don't want, but not what to do next.
I currently have a computer/tv theme going.
My current formatting decisions is as follows:
Text box holds two lines of dialogue maximum. Nametag is above the dialogue The dialogue font size is at least 28px. The text box is semi-transparent. The text box takes roughly 1/4 of the whole screen.
I'm thinking of making it very simplistic, but still fitting.
Anyway...

My question is, what do you do when you're facing artist's block?
I'd like to hear your answers. Thanks.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: GUI Artist's Block

#2 Post by morinoir »

If you're looking for feedback for your GUI design, I suggest post some screenshot here so we can give you better advice and/or critique. That being said, artist block usually happens when you think too much. Take a step back, take a rest, play a game, do other things except working on your project for awhile and come back when your body and mind have been refreshed. Always working for me 'w')b

Wataru2

Re: GUI Artist's Block

#3 Post by Wataru2 »

My advice for any art block is to try something you don't normally try. For instance if you're unsure of your gui design then try something random. You don't know you want it until you see it.

Here are a few test I did in 10 mins. It's not drastically different nor creative, but you get the idea. Spend maybe 30 minutes browsing on the web and you'll find that many things can be incorporated into the gui. After the textbox, you move onto text that fits it, etc.
screenshot0014.png
screenshot0013.png
screenshot0012.png
screenshot0011.png
screenshot0010.png