What genres to draw for Otome/Visual Novel?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Akua
Regular
Completed: Appetité Amor
Projects: A Frigid Space | Lycoris | Demon's Kiss | Night of the Lesbian Vampires
Organization: Demon's Decoy
Tumblr: akuakourin
Deviantart: AkuaKourin
itch: akua-kourin

What genres to draw for Otome/Visual Novel?

#1 Post by Akua »

To specify my question, I would like to know what the audience and even (hobby) creator of Otome demand or want to cover. I am an artist who wants to specialize in CG and Sprites yet I came to a hold on the creation of the Sprites (the standing pictures of the love interests). My goal is it to make noncommercial assets for creators who want to make Otome but lack certain aspects like the Sprites to fulfill their ideas. The gaming community is growing and so is the demand for more variety. Following the advices of users who have experience in the field I have these results so far:

- a minimum of a four character set (1 MC + 3 Bachelors)
> possibly some side sprites
- a wide variety in expression, colour and appearance
- resolution 1920 x 1080
- different genres

The matter I'm asking is now that I'm open for genres that should be covered or would like to be seen. I know that school themed ones are often used but let's be honest, it's common. Two projects I also want to cover are "Idol" and "Monster" yet there is still a lot open what's to come. So suggestions, tips and anything you think related genre, niches etc. are welcomed.

nerupuff
Veteran

Re: What genres to draw for Otome/Visual Novel?

#2 Post by nerupuff »

I've noticed an upsurge of fantasy genres coming into play when it comes to otome games. They usually follow princess/prince themes or anything royalty related, which I guess isn't always as common as school-themed otomes. I think sci-fi is also starting to trend for otomes though most of what I see are those in demos and such. ^^

In general though, I think you already have a main idea of what people look for in CC sprites! A main character and a small number of romance-able characters already fit the bill for most small projects. Around 4-6 expressions should be good for a set covering all the basic emotions. Good luck!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#3 Post by morinoir »

Idol and monster theme sound good but it also won't hurt to prepare the more common one in the set so people who want to create story in normal-everyday setting can still use them too. I think east asian theme is quite popular too for otome? And I've also seen a lot of thirst for handsome male in fantasy arabic-inspired theme xD

A suggestion tho, I think 4 character set is a bit too much work especially if you plan to make other set too. Why not make just one mc but make her wears different outfit that fit with the themes? So aside from her normal version, there will be her monster version, her idol version, etc. So you can focus on creating different male characters instead. And 2 male characters for each theme is easier for starter. Looking forward to see your creation! Good luck!

Akua
Regular
Completed: Appetité Amor
Projects: A Frigid Space | Lycoris | Demon's Kiss | Night of the Lesbian Vampires
Organization: Demon's Decoy
Tumblr: akuakourin
Deviantart: AkuaKourin
itch: akua-kourin

#4 Post by Akua »

morinoir wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:40 pm Idol and monster theme sound good but it also won't hurt to prepare the more common one in the set so people who want to create story in normal-everyday setting can still use them too. I think east asian theme is quite popular too for otome? And I've also seen a lot of thirst for handsome male in fantasy arabic-inspired theme xD

A suggestion tho, I think 4 character set is a bit too much work especially if you plan to make other set too. Why not make just one mc but make her wears different outfit that fit with the themes? So aside from her normal version, there will be her monster version, her idol version, etc. So you can focus on creating different male characters instead. And 2 male characters for each theme is easier for starter. Looking forward to see your creation! Good luck!
A "normal" set isn't necessarily needed because I plan to give the characters different outfit tropes (like casual, season related...) so that even an actual werewolf character could go as a normal high school student and can be used as one if wanted. And with that also comes the vibe the characters give off, like I want a cute MC and I don't think a pose with crossed arms is a good combination, at least not for me. And I talked about the matter of two males with others beforehand and they would rather like a third option if possible, so either way it would be work. But East Asian and Arabic noted. Thanks!
nerupuff wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 am I've noticed an upsurge of fantasy genres coming into play when it comes to otome games. They usually follow princess/prince themes or anything royalty related, which I guess isn't always as common as school-themed otomes. I think sci-fi is also starting to trend for otomes though most of what I see are those in demos and such. ^^

In general though, I think you already have a main idea of what people look for in CC sprites! A main character and a small number of romance-able characters already fit the bill for most small projects. Around 4-6 expressions should be good for a set covering all the basic emotions. Good luck!
Fantasy/Fairy Tale and Sci-Fi, alright. I thought of sets in PSD files where there are different eyes, brows and mouths so they are customizable enough for any needs. I would do Basics only if they switch between different poses. Thanks!