Need your expertise: Tips on buying a wacom tablet

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
liagel
Regular

Need your expertise: Tips on buying a wacom tablet

#1 Post by liagel »

Hello!

I would need some advises about the choice of a new tablet.
I'm needing one for two purposes. One is to make corrections on 3D CG and the other one is to draw.
I mostly use Photoshop CC.
And I need a tablet to use inside and outside.

I have seen the Cintiq PRO 13, the Cintiq 13HD, and the Cintiq 16.

What would be your choice? Do you own one of those? Are you happy with it?

Thank you for all you comments, and sorry for my poor English :p

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

Re: Need your expertise: Tips on buying a wacom tablet

#2 Post by puppetbomb »

SUPER LONG POST GOOOOOOOO

Pro Versions (USB vs USB-C)
The Pro only requires two cables compared to the non-Pro's three, but only if you have USB-C ports.

If you're working with USB, you'll need their three-in-one cable (included in package) which just feels like three cables IMO. I worked with this cable in my previous computer's dying months before buying the new Macbook with USB-C ports. The difference between having two vs. three cables feels huge.

If you plan on getting a Mac/Macbook any time in the future, get the Pro version. Apple is phasing out USB ports pretty quickly.

Cintiq 13/13 Pro ($650/$800)
The size is good for smaller tables. It's about the same size of a small/medium laptop, making it easy to store with your laptop. If you walk around a lot or plan to switch work areas one or twice in a day, this will be a better alternative than the 16. The general opinion I've seen about the 13 is that it's a good size for roughs, but not optimal for finishing work due to the small size and smaller color gamut.

Conclusion: Decent portability, good for personal work, lacking for professional work. Good price.

Cintiq 16 Pro ($1,500)
It's a pound heavier, and you'll need to double-check if your bag is big enough to carry it. If you have a temporary space you work at all day, the 16 is really nice to have as a part of a portable office. However, I do notice that the 16 needs a good amount of space to work effectively (please don't take up two tables when the place is full). The screen is big enough to accommodate a decent amount of UI before it affects your drawing area. It also has a wider color gamut than the 13.

Conclusion: OK-ish portability, great for professional work. Expensive.

Intuos/Intuos Pro ($100-$200/$380-$500)
(Felt like it should be mentioned ;v;) The simplest setup: it's either one cord or none, which makes it super fast to pack up or even work for just an hour or two. There's a bit of a learning curve if you've never used one before, but I also know professional artists who prefer tablet over display. I have an old one I take out if I'm going to a high-traffic place without company.

Conclusion: Good if you're worried about your stuff getting stolen or have to run around a lot

My Workspace (Cintiq 16 Pro)
I have a Cintiq 16 Pro, a 13" 2017 Macbook Pro and this laptop stand (used with the Cintiq). I bought a shorter USB-C Thunderbolt cable for connecting the Cintiq to the computer at home, but I carry a longer cable for when I'm out and about. I use Illustrator and Photoshop CC/CS6 and use keyboard shortcuts constantly.

My workspace is usually the dining table, so I have to move things out of the way pretty often. I just stack my laptop and Cintiq and put it aside, and it's great for that.

There's a cafe near my place that's empty for most of the day, and that's where I usually bring my setup if I work outside. It's great for when I'm working in one place for 3+ hours.

Overall, I really, really like my Cintiq 16. I wouldn't go smaller even if the specs were the same (if it used only one cable, then maybe llD).

I hope that helps your decision-making ^^;;

liagel
Regular

#3 Post by liagel »

Thank you so much puppetbomb!
You did helped me a lot for my decision making.

I also have a McBook Pro 2017 with USB-C port, so the PRO versions are definitively a go for me.
And you have confirmed my doubts about the 13" size, it will be too small, so I need to see the 16".
And I work most of the time at the workshop, and I have the bag for a 16" :)
The Cintiq 16 PRO is the right choice, but it's expensive yes.

Thank you, you've answered all my questions!

puppetbomb
Regular
Tumblr: puppetbomb
itch: puppetbomb

#4 Post by puppetbomb »

I'm glad I could help! ^^

Decadenttia

#5 Post by Decadenttia »

Compared to the nice super detailed explanations already post, my tip is gonna be a rather stupid one, but let me say it anyways: choose whatever you choose, be sure you can get EASILY replacements for the drawing pen tips, or at least you can get another compatible one.

liagel
Regular

#6 Post by liagel »

Your advice is far from stupid, and that's why I stick to Wacom. You can find new pen easily.

Decadenttia

#7 Post by Decadenttia »

Well I say in fact, because I got a wacom bamboo model several years ago, counting that I could find the replacements for the tips... and nope. Turns I must purchase the whole drawing pen again and I only can find it in Amazon (and Amazon and I are not good friends, but that's other story :D ).

liagel
Regular

#8 Post by liagel »

Decadenttia wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:53 am Well I say in fact, because I got a wacom bamboo model several years ago, counting that I could find the replacements for the tips... and nope. Turns I must purchase the whole drawing pen again and I only can find it in Amazon (and Amazon and I are not good friends, but that's other story :D ).
I'll keep that in mind, thank you ;)